what are the do's and dont's of a timing job

luis

I'm going to be replacing whole timing chain on my 97 tj 2.5. I have a few questions for this is my first time doing a timing chain, iv done belts before. Would the cam shaft move freely once free of the crank shaft? Is it necessary to replace the sprockets? What happens if I line up the dots and after the chain is moved either the cam or crank move can I simple reverse the action and line the dots back up? Or will there be a lot of resistance preventing the cam to move. I know the crank shaft won't move cause of the compression but just unsure of the cam shaft. Thank you for looking and appriciate any opinion.

if you take the spark plugs out, you can rotate the engine a lot easier when you need to line stuff up because there will be no more compression.

as far as the other stuff, i have only done timing belts also, or timing gears. never a chain.

Would the cam be able to move freely? I wouldn't think so due to the push rods clingy to the valves, i just want to be sure. I would hate for either the cam or the crank to move why'll the chain is off messing up the timing all together

Replacing timing chains and belts are pretty similar. On a timing chain you should replace the gears also. If there's a tensioner I'd change that to Unless your chain Is loose and jumped out of alignment you should be able to line everything back up from tdc. I'm not sure if your motor is a interference type, in which case you won't be able to turn the cam shaft freely because the valves will make contact with the piston.

all the times i did this on belt engines, i never moved anything. i pulled the old one off, put the new one, and then rotated the engine slowly to make sure the marks were still good. i never had an issue doing that and i have done 8 or 9 bmws and some asian cars and trucks that way

I only ask cause to remove the sprocket for the cam you need a wrench. Well I'm afraid that might rotate the cam instead of the bolt.

Just use a wrench to hold the crankshaft in place while you loosen the camshaft sprocket.A Little bit of movement is not a problem. Be sure to double check that everything lines up when your done.

808CJ7 said:
Just use a wrench to hold the crankshaft in place while you loosen the camshaft sprocket.A Little bit of movement is not a problem. Be sure to double check that everything lines up when your done.

So in the case the cam shaft moves a little is it safe to reverse the direction to put it in the correct alignment?

luis said:
Main seal for the crank? How do I do that

Sorry I took so long. The seal is on the timing chain cover. Since your going to take it off might as well change it

808CJ7 said:
Sorry I took so long. The seal is on the timing chain cover. Since your going to take it off might as well change it

Ok yes I em familiar with that. Also planning on a new pan gaskets since that needs to be dropped to get to the tensioner. I think autozone sells a gaskets kit that includes all the gaskets and seals I need to do this, unless you think it may be a bad idea and those gaskets will be cheap ones. I'm going to get gasket sealer as well

Do I need to mess with the distributor at all? Planning on doing this before my next oil change so I can get that knocked out too

luis said:
Do I need to mess with the distributor at all? Planning on doing this before my next oil change so I can get that knocked out too

Nope line everything up before you swap the timing set and make sure your lined up when it's done. Take your time, no pun intended. Just drop us a post if you have any problems

808CJ7 said:
Nope line everything up before you swap the timing set and make sure your lined up when it's done. Take your time, no pun intended. Just drop us a post if you have any problems

Sure will. Thanks for your help and insight

I literally did this on Sunday Luis

Before you take the chain off make reference marks from the sprocket to the chain from the cam and crank. Simple marks.
Slide a screwdriver through the slots to hold the cam gear in place while you unbolt it. There are edges to get leverage on behind the gear

Take it all off as a unit and then match it up to the new set on a bench. Use your reference marks to line up your new set. Count the links to ensure its correct
There is a dowl on the cam so it fits into the gear. Same on crank

Use the screwdriver method to install it and torque it

Any questions just ask

Oh the tensioner. Instead of fooling with the two torx that hold it on I simply used the old bracket and new clip

Goto advanceauto.com and get your set and kit
I used online coupons and saved tons of money. If you spend $100+ use coupon ccabin to get $40 off! Sweet!

Atlas said:
I literally did this on Sunday Luis

Before you take the chain off make reference marks from the sprocket to the chain from the cam and crank. Simple marks.
Slide a screwdriver through the slots to hold the cam gear in place while you unbolt it. There are edges to get leverage on behind the gear

Take it all off as a unit and then match it up to the new set on a bench. Use your reference marks to line up your new set. Count the links to ensure its correct
There is a dowl on the cam so it fits into the gear. Same on crank

Use the screwdriver method to install it and torque it

Any questions just ask

Oh the tensioner. Instead of fooling with the two torx that hold it on I simply used the old bracket and new clip

Goto advanceauto.com and get your set and kit
I used online coupons and saved tons of money. If you spend $100+ use coupon ccabin to get $40 off! Sweet!

Please explain the whole use the old bracket method? What did u have to do in steps? I plan in taking a ton of pics for referance

Referring to the tensioner bracket

Alright. Basically the bracket is a bent piece of metal with a post
The post has two clips. An inner and outer

Basically it goes outer clip-tensioner-inner clip

I took the outer clip off the slid the tensioner off. Then put the new tensioner on then a new clip

I had to disassemble the new assemble. It's only one clip

Oh instead of trying to push the clip on the post I used the end of a hammer to gently push it in place. They rest on grooves

Once you see it you will know what I mean

Or you can take the two torx out. I prefer not to fool with torx when I don't have to

You really don't need to drop the pan to do this. Pan is a pain in the balls to put on.

We found that using napa Indian chellac helped hold the gasket in place the best. A real struggle though.

Don't forget I have a Yj but I think they are similar when it comes to timing setup

Oh yah
Another thing. You need to torque the cam bolt
When you get to tightening it your going to put the slack on the top side of the chain. Make sure you turn it slightly back so the slack is on the bottom side. Don't worry it won't effect anything but you want the top to be tight

Back