well then...

OhioMike

ok so the machinist i was usin is a moron...

firt thing that should have tipped me off was his lack of understanding the measurements...

he tells me the engine needs bored...ok...no big deal...it happens...

but unless i'm stupid shouldn;t he be able to tell what size pistons a he will need when he measures the bore?he got .030 pistons and they fell right through the bore...so that's how he decided to go .060?i should have caught it on that one...

second...he tells me all my crank needs is polished...ok...i can go with that...but after he polishes it...it still has grooves...hmm...i'm not genius or nothin...but should it not be smooth...

i ask him to turn the crank and he argues that it does not need it...but when i go to get the engine...his boy is putting it together...and covering the oiling holes with the bearings...i had to explain to him what he was doin wrong there...

they finally decided to send my crank out to be turned after it failed plastigauge...i ahve never seen a machinist use plastigauge...they usually know what their clearances are after they turn the crank...and are good with it...but i will give it to him...this was only a polish...better safe than sorry...

so he decides to turn it...tells me it will be back last friday...i go to pick it up today...it still isn;t back...ok where is it...beavercreek...ok...who has it...i don;t know the name of the place...is it just me or does somethin sound fishy...i say forget it...gimee my engine...keep the crank...

i got a new crank on the way should be here thrusday...

i'm takin my rods elsewhere to have arp bolts put in them cause i'm not sure this guy knew what he was doin...or if he even replaced them honestly...he didn;t charge me for it...

i asked about shimming my valves for the right hieght and he said he doesn;t do that race car stuff...again...i'm no genius...but isn;t that a part of a valve job?i guess i'll be haulin the head down there to...to have it checked...

i hate morons...

am i worng in double checkin the guys work?cause i don;t feel like it

RE: Sloppy steering

His son was not lining up the oiling holes in the bearings? Tell me he is not charging you for the labor...

RE: Re: RE: New Jeep owner--- stuck @ 2000rpms...

Ya, you made a good decision.

On my Chevy's engine, I was stupid and decided to try out a different engine builder that I had heard good things about. He ended up building it 3 times...and I took it easy on him and let him keep trying, figuring it was a defect in some og the parts, cause everything seemed to look good.

In the end I went back to who I usually use and now the engine is AMAZING!!!! (and by the way I didn't pay a dime for the parts or labor that the first guy wanted to charge me, and I kept the engine with some good parts still in it...which was pretty sweet!!).

Re: New addition to the family...

Dang, Mike, that's awful!!! If I were you, I'd have the next mechanic check absolutely everything the guy laid his hands on. Who knows what else he may have done to it!

RE: AGR or rebuilt stock steering box?

actually i'll measure it all myself...it;s no big deal...if i find somein i'm not sure about i'll haul it down and have someone else look at it...

Back