Welding Axles

jeepin916

Hey does any one know some prices for welding mounts on axles? and getting it aligned? i have a 97 TJ so im guessing its a little harder to do mounts than say a YJ or a CJ.

I asked a machine shop about doing that and they told me about 8 hopurs of labor at 75 an hr to have dana 44 put under my jeep.

The 8 hours included haveing the old dana 35 and 30 removed and the 44 places under it and mounts tacked onto it and then sent out to an alignment shop to have alignment checked b4 the brackets were completely welded.

8 hrs at 75 an hr is 600 bucks does anyone know if thats a good deal?

A shop competent enough to weld on the brackets will ensure everything is aligned as it's tacked on, no need to be sent anywhere. it only takes about an hour to remove an axle and an hour to put one in, so they're quoting 6 hours to weld on the brackets.

If I were you I'd buy a bracket kit yourself, and cut/grind all the old bracketry from the D44. Take a welding shop both axles and tell them to make it happen. Shouldn't take but a couple of hours to have all the brackets welded to the D44 to match the specs on the D35.

well there going to take the old axles out and weld and do the alignment theres no place they can measure from to make sure that brackets are going on straight, and when there done im going to be rolling out on dana 44's allready installed, i cant take the old axles out and cut and grind everything off myself i dont have tools that will do that and the shop told me that if they do it that way the axle might now be perfectly and i will probably have alignment problems,

Go to the Currie site. They have labor costings to do different jobs. If he is including all the pads and mounts its probably not a bad price.

no heat in my cj7

Okay, I was thinking one axle since so many jeepers swap out the rear only. The price sounds a little better now. I'd shop around a little bit, may save you $100 one way or the other.

i tried to shop around but theres only one shop that will do this for me in NYC i figured taht it was a pretty good deal..

Go to the Currie site. They have labor costings to do different jobs. If he is including all the pads and mounts its probably not a bad price.

you can pick up a cheap angle grinder for like $20 anywhere, and wheels are only about $2... so you can remove the old mounts from the 44 to save an hour of time... you end up with tools, and still save money

the real cost of an axle swap is in the goodies going in the axle!!! I went broke just buying the 5.13 gears, spool, bearing, install kit and seals for my 9inch and dana44. i couldnt even consider having someone else install my axles!! lol but 600 dollars does sound fair for the labour invovled. and also i am guessing that you will need new drivshatfs cause of the different yoke sizes unless they are the same.

Back