Weber TBI or Weber 38?

hoobness

Which option should I go with?

Weber's Fuel Injection @ $2000, or Weber's 38/38 @ $400?

Either way Im using Clifford's Intake as well as their dual-out Headers.

Weber Fuel Injection Setup pic:

http://cliffordperformanceshop.com/...ffordthrottle_body_fuel_injection_1934429.htm

Weber Carb/Intake/Headers Setup pic:

http://cliffordperformanceshop.com/images/47-4060s-.jpg

By looking at the cost it looks foolish to spend all that money for the TBI, when theres no way in hell Ill get it back plus $2000 is a lil more than id like to spend for minimal gains...
- I just rebuilt the 258 in the spring, and plan on owning my Jeep for a long time.

SOOOO, I just want to know how much better in terms of performance, reliability, and life the TBI has over the carb.

Opinions, comments, suggestions please!

Thanks!

4.0l high output in a 89 sport??

Neither. The FI is way overpriced. The carb is problematic at best.

Check out either the Motorcraft 2150 or the new Holley Truck Avenger. A friend of mine just put on the Holley TA 650, and you'd think it was FI the way it runs at all angles.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Neither. The FI is way overpriced. The carb is problematic at best.

image-missing.png

Pretty much what i was thinking. 2k is way too much for a TBI fuel injection system even if it does come with nice windows software.
I'm actually surprised they didn't go all out and make an MPI kit instead?

Anyways, the weber carb isnt that problematic. Its actually fairly stable as far as carbs go. Performance is pretty decent too (as long as you have it INSTALLED PROPERLY) :D

I am not sure about the fuel injection, but i recently put a Weber carb on my 87 wrangler. I love it. My jeep runs better now than it did when i bought it in 95. I haven't ran into any problem either with some minor off roading. Just my 2 cents

$2000 gets ya the complete 4.0 liter conversion from dodge. No way I would pay that for a electronic carb.

Webers have querks, totally livable if you managed life with a stock jeep carb!! Totally lame if yoru used to an fuel injection systems. I have run Carters on Ford big blocks (Not a Jeep Carter :shock: )and they run almost upside down and never hic-up. But some others obviously had probs. I wouldn't put a Holley near anything I own. UNLESS they figured out how to keep there float bowls from flooding out the second you get on a incline or hit a good bump.

I have the old ( 1990's) cheap projection from Holley and it rocks. Couldn't have been more then 500+, and you couldn't give me a jeep with a carb. So you don't have to spend banko to get what you want.

Carburators are likely to give you fits at some point no matter what brand. The best one I have ever seen was a Motorcraft 2bbl that was modified at a race shop. He drilled some holes in there somewhere that kept it from loading.
A 650 CFM carb is probably to big for the 258. I have only seen one Weber that ran right. I have heard that they are good if you set them up right.
The best price going for GM fuel injection is at www.customefis.com.
This guy custom builds fuel injection kits for Jeep motors from GM parts. This means all of your sensors can be replaced at the local NAPA. I think that his Jeep kits are under $800.
I have one on my AMC 360. It runs really well and the throttle response will blow you away. I threw my old Holley in the trash.

When you say 4.0 liter conversion kit are you talking intake and fuel injection parts only? If that includes the 4.0 head then it is a good deal. The 4.0 liter head on a 258 makes awesome power (higher compression).

NO just the manifold multi port injection set up. Full computer and all the fixins. Also parts can be grabbed at Napa or back ta the dealer.

I imagine the the 4.0 head and swap would be best. Hell and even cheaper if you got lucky. But a whole lot more leg work and wrenching. Honestly I am happy as a clam with my holley set up. I have other things that need my focus. But if it fell in lap I be all over it.

Back