Weatherproofing the amp...

Joopin

Super Moderator

After herculining my YJ, I was worried about the amp in the back under the seat getting wet if I leave the top off. Solution? Fab up a clear Lexan box to keep any kind of water from getting to the amp.
image-missing.png

Heres a step by step on pages 4 and 5.[addsig]

Looks good ...very nice .....Congrats///////
:-D :-D :-D [addsig]

Joop, I hope you are allowing that amp to get proper ventilation, If not it will burn up. My advice would be to go to radio shack and get some small 12 volt computer fans, about 2 inches by 2 inches and wire them into the ignition, Use on for push and one on the oposite side as a pull.

Other than that, looks nice!

Johnny
[addsig]

Yeah, to tell you the truth I didn't even think of that until this guy at work mentioned it. I did put 4 one inch vents on it... 2 on each side where the cooling fins are... do you think that is enough? Or do I need some actual air flow in there. It's under the seat so it probably doesnt get much air flow when it was out of the box... I don't even know if I could fit the fans... the box is only 2.75 inches tall!!! [addsig]

Two 2" fans would fit. You can even get 2 laptop fans.[addsig]

Hey folks...long time no speak. I did this project only 4+ years ago. I used a metal box which already had vent holes in the sides. I also bought two 2" 12VDC fans but found that I ultimately didn't need to use them once I used a good amp.

Actually, my first amp was a cheaper model and it would overheat and cut off during the hotest part of the day as I discovered in the first hours of a cross-country road trip. I stopped at a Radio Shack enroute and bought the 2 12VDC fans to keep the amp cool. It helped but the thing would still overheat and automatically shut off at times leaving me musicless for minutes before it would come back on.

Once on the other side of the country, I exchanged the disappointing amp and upgraded to a better but more expensive brand and model (Pioneer, I think...I haven't even looked at it in some time...I just listen to it). I intended to install the cooling fans permanently after putting the amp in but, as it turned out, even though the new amp is bigger, it doesn't even need the cooling fans. It sits in it's box and has been working reliably now for nearly 5 years (I can't believe it's been that long!!!) and hasn't overheated once.

Hope this helps. :-D [addsig]

i would suggest the fans... they are usually a must... and that is a crunch amp, it probably gets hot with their technology.... make sure you put the fans in so that they will not draw water, since that entire project IS to keep water out[addsig]

Back