Vibration

rondo

Just a question or two. '99 Cherokee Sport with 135K, and I've had it since it was new. Never a problem, I maintain it well, I tow a small tralier and drive it every day. Just this past weekend I started to pick up a vibration in the drive train. It's not in the front end (the wheel doesn't shake) and it starts at about 55 mph and is the worst between 55 and about 65. After that it's not quite as noticeable, but it does sometimes vibrate a little harder at faster speeds, then slows down. It's a little sporadic, but it's there all the time once you hit about 55. I jacked up the front end and tried to wobble each wheel, but here's no play either top to bottom or front to back, and they spin by hand pretty good. My question (s) is about play in the drive shafts. In the rear, with the Jeep in park and on flat ground, there is absolutely no movement when I try to rotate the drive shaft by hand. It's rock solid and the U joints have no movement at all. The front drive shaft though does have rotational play in it. I can move it about 10 degrees in each direction. The movement doesn't seem to be in the U joints, but in the housings, and it almost seems like it's supposed to be there. Does this sound like the problem, or is this considered normal? By the way, about 3 or 4 months ago I thought that I was noticing a small vibration, but after I rotated the tires (coincidence?) it seemed to go away. I've done a lot of driving at about 80 mph since then and I've not had a problem until this weekend. Any suggestions?

Vibes in Cherokees and other Jeeps seem to be the most popular problem I've come across on this site. It seems if it isn't the driveshaft, it's the front axel, tie rods, etc.

If you do a search for "Driveshaft vibes" you will come across a ton of posts talking about how to rectifiy the problem.

Last one I saw was here: http://www.jeepz.com/index.php?name...ne+vibes&sid=fadecb1ae14a6a65567cb32c146e8243

Just copy and paste.

I heard an ingenious method of checking for misaligned or warped driveshafts. Take some angle iron, rest the shaft in it, and then turn the drift shaft. This will give you a better visual then simply eyeballing any problems there might be.

Is your rig lifted?

The 60 MPH window you mentioed is often balance. I noticed just yesterday, that I had thrown a wheel wieght, common on aluiminum rims. I often also check the front axle U-joints, very little play at the U-joint bearing cap seal, it´s time for a change.

The driveshaft observations you noted are normal. In park, there is pressure on the rear driveline that prevents the driveshaft from moving. The front is in 2wd with no tension on the front driveshaft, thus allowing the 10* of movement.

Sounds like a tire balance issue, made worse by the coil spring front suspension that is prone to aggravate and amplify any vibration.

check the whhel balancing ,and if the rims are bent,also check for missing /slipped weight and slipped belts.if you feel it more in the drive train you could be hauling to much(or hauled to much)in messed somethin up

Back