UK Cherokee needs help!

mattyp25_uk

Hi from the other side of the pond.

Got myself a nice 96 Cherokee 4.0 Ltd, but also have a couple of problems too - can you help?

1. Rear Axle leaking - I've removed the filler plug, cleaned it all up and used a sealant on it before refitting but it still leaks - anywhere else I can check?

2. Sometimes after a run, I get water runoff from a pipe in the engine bay - its on the right hand side of the engine bay (as you look from the front) near the bottom. I thought it was the AC condensation run off - but I still get water even when the AC unit isn't on - is that right?

3. I don't appear to have a full time 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive light on the dash - only the part-time light - is that right? how do you get to the bulbs?

4. Clock resets itself to 1am every time you turn the lights on - why?

Thanks for all your help!

Matt
image-missing.png
[addsig]

1. Rear Axle leaking - I've removed the filler plug, cleaned it all up and used a sealant on it before refitting but it still leaks - anywhere else I can check?

-did you just put some goop on it or did you replace the seals? if you just slapped some goop on there i'd suggest buying new seals. is it leaking from where the seals are or from somewhere else?

2. Sometimes after a run, I get water runoff from a pipe in the engine bay - its on the right hand side of the engine bay (as you look from the front) near the bottom. I thought it was the AC condensation run off - but I still get water even when the AC unit isn't on - is that right?

-after a run... meaning some fun times off the road? perhaps you're running through creek crossings? are you loosing any antifreeze?

[addsig]

If you have the rubber stopper type of filler plug they are often damamged by a mechanic with a screw driver or sometimes shrink with age. There are only five places the oil could be leaking from, left or right axle in the brake drum. Front near the pinion or the rear case cover or filler plug. Best to have an occasional good look at all of them.

Often a coolant or heater hose leaking at the connection. Often the cap leaks at the coolant recovery resevoir and sometimes the connection underneath. Rub your finger on the bottom of each connection and look closely. Don´t over tighten.

I´ve never replaced the four wheel drive lights, but along with the clock problem it sounds like you may have a loose ground somewhere. Going behind the dash in the XJ is pretty much a nightmare, the chances of doing more damage than good are great.

What side is the steering wheel on, the right left side or the wrong right side?
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back