Transmission Problem

flip124

I dont know if its because its getting cold out but when my Jeep starts cold, especially in the morning, neither 1st nor 2nd gear will work till its warmed up. I pop it back into reverse to get out of the driveway and i have to stick it in third to get moving. Anyone have a reason for this?

Thanks
TJ

:shock: Probably because you just called your Jeep a car.

Darin that transmission and fill er up with Peenzoil Synromesh! Make your transmission shift like a dream on cold and all other times as well. Tug

Ok, now that we've corrected that issue...

Does it ever have trouble shifting at any other time, under any other circumstances? I'm assuming you have the manual transmission, AX-5. Verify that. If so, I would drain and refill with some synthetic fluid immediately. First choice would be Red Line MT90. Second choice should be the Pennzoil Synchromesh. The PS is not synthetic, but it's smooth. If you go to a quick lube place to have it done, call to make sure they have one of these two fluids. If not, go find it at the auto parts store and take them 4 qts. You should have about 1/2 quart leftover.

Good luck.

C

ps. hope I didn't come off as pissy with the "car" thing. Just something between Jeepers... sometimes best learned the hard way.

Yeah i have the AX5 transmission. It runs fine when warmed up. Its just those first couple stop signs where its causing trouble.

Snitty said:
the synchromesh fluid is $5/quart... 20 bucks will have you on your way to a better day

And not to mention that it will keep the corrosive GL5 that's in there now from eating your brass synchronizers and ruining your transmission.

Back