toyota clutch change....

Snitty

i am in the process of changing the clutch in a 93 toyota pickup.... oh my.... whoever designed the drivetrain and crossmember did NOT have repair ease in mind... it took almost 4 hours just to get TO the transfercase... there are 3 different size bolts for the bellhousing, 3 different sizes for the transfercase... and we're dealing with metric... we (me with watchers) got the clutch out today... the bellhousing was full of cottonized shredded disc material... fun... tomorrow i get to lay on the wet frozen ground again to put it all back together....

BUY AMERICAN

ahem!

Offense taken!!!

I will give american cars the advantage in parts cost though.

toyota vehicles will run forever ( g/f has 275000 on a celica) but they are a pain to work on, and parts are not cheap. so yeah buy american. and wait till you need to do a headgasket on that mr2 you got, not fun.

and wait till you need to do a headgasket on that mr2 you got, not fun.

Actually the head gasket is pretty simple in the MR2 and can be done while the engine is in the car. It is the timing belt that sucks.

In anycase, I am still taking offense. I have no disagreement about parts. I am sure there are many american cars that are not the easiest to work on. Especially new cars.

If you want an arguement against american cars. Look up some of the resale values of 5+ year old vehicles.

my cousin had an mr2 and we did the timing belt. it was a pain in my a@%
and i just did one in an eclipse last week. that equally sucked!!

there are alot of american cars with crappy resale values, and alot with high resale values...ie. jeep wrangler. then you have the foreign cars with low resale value...ie. toyota corolla

you should sell me your jeep and buy a spoiler for your car. :evil:

there are alot of american cars with crappy resale values, and alot with high resale values...ie. jeep wrangler. then you have the foreign cars with low resale value...ie. toyota corolla

I think we could say the same thing about working on the cars also.

you should sell me your jeep and buy a spoiler for your car.

Nice way to treat a fellow Jeep owner and car enthusiast.

dude, dont be so sensitive i was kidding about the spoiler thing. :roll:
i dont only own a jeep. i also own an eclipse as my daily driver since my jeep is out of commission. i have driven and worked on lots of different vehicles and for the MOST part foreign cars are more difficult to work on, period. there are alot of "american" cars that are the same way, but when you start taking parts off they sometimes have something like mazda stamped on them. meaning that alot of our "american" cars are actually foreign cars with a ford emblem on them.

point is calm down....when snitty said buy american it was his opinion, and im sure that nobody wanted to offend you. i did not mean to offend you when i said the spoiler thing, it was a sarcastic remark from one jeeper to a jeep owner. if you hate american cars you should sell your jeep though!

confused... what did i say that was offensive??

it seems like he did not approve of you saying buy american, and you were knocking on the fact that it is a pain to work on a yota.

I was helping my buddy change his alternator on his 86 4runner and boy was it a pain. What should take a few minutes takes 20 w/ yotas. It's hard to get my big american hands in those small places that Jap fellas can reach with ease.

it IS a pain to work on them.... and the grass IS green, water IS wet, and life DOES end.... its all just the truth... nothing to take offense over... i'm not saying that they don't run forever or are not dependable vehicles.. because by golly... they are...

Back