TJ down and out AGAIN

ZBTstang

Well I blew the clutch in my TJ saturday night. I got stuck in stop and go traffic for about 45 minutes and it just burned right up. This is about the 5tha Major mechanical problem ive had with this jeep and I havent even owned it a year yet. Can ya tell im getting a little fustrated.

Very strange I take in the Atlanta Stop and Go all the time and I haven't had a problem with a clutch. Did you buy this TJ used?? Was the previous owner a seasoned Standard driver or did they learn to drive a standard with this TJ, or is this your first standard?

I bought it used from a dealer, the clutch went at around 90k miles. This isnt my first standard either, I can drive a stick like nobodys business. However when I had first bought the jeep I found sand EVERYWHERE, in the vents, the seals between the soft top and the frame, everywhere. So I can only imagine what that did to the mechanical side of the jeep

All makes and modles have a few lemons! Might think of traden that puppy for a say YJ or CJ. Only picken a little sorry for the troubles man it hurts to have your jeep down. tug

Jeep probably had a hard life it was wheeled in sand, lot's of back and forth rocking to get unstuck, really hard on a clutch. I'd say 90K is pretty good for a clutch that has likely been abused.

What were your other 'major mechanical problems'?

If the previous owner had taken it sand duning 90K on the stock clutch is really good. Sand is the toughest off road medium on an off road vehicle. The added torque needed to glide a jeep over sand puts a heavy strain on a clutch or automatic transmissions, and take years off both if not properly maintained. Changing fluids every couple of years inspecting and replacing of clutch and pressure plates, shocks ect ect.
The silica in the sand acts like an abrasive powder and wears out the moving parts on any sand buggie out there. This powder is in the fine dust and there is now way to keep it out. Air filter wraps and other assorted aftermarket products keep it out some what but you will find that it gets into places you never thought it could. Dropping your oil pan and sifting through the pan sediment will tell you if your going to have any engine problems down the road.
A thorough inspection of all under carriage parts including the wheel bearings and spindles should be inspected for glazing or wear.
All moveable suspention parts should be checked ,I.E. the bushings and shoulder bolts for wear.
Draining and opening of both differentials for a good inspection would also be on the menu since a locked up diff at 60 miles per hour is a experience that you dont want to share with the board later on.
And dont forget to take a good look at and servise all your U-Joints as well.

I am sorry about the length of this post but years of sand duning has tought me the finer points of maintaining my quads to the point of being anal over it. A five mile walk through the sand dunes to get help sucks wearing riding boots :p

The Car I almost sold my jeep for. Then i woke up

hehehehehehehehehe i have an auto TJ. I feel like a jeep outcast

Ive had to replace:
:evil: Clutch
:evil: Computer (twice)
:evil: CAT
:evil: Radiator
:evil: The wiring behind the dash.
:evil: Fuel pump (left me stranded the 2nd day I had it in the middle of the highway)

(The Cat and Wiring, and fuel pump were under warranty. I had problems with my radiator before the warranty was up, they told me they couldnt find the problem, but they happened to find the problem the day after my warranty was up)
Ive had the TJ less than a Year

They should have covered the Radiator since it had been noted before the warranty ran out,...Thats just Bullshit and I would have called them on it until it got resolved. Keep going up until you get the answer you want or diserve.

Next bit of advice is get a CJ and learn how to fix it all yourself. Not trying to start a CJ vs TJ thang. It's just easier and cheaper to learn how to fix then a TJ.

The saying "they don't make things like they used to" holds true. And even when they "DO" make them as good or better they add so much crap they are too expensive or overly complicated. Cars today are built for convenience and saftey. Cj's had neither in mind. Besides AMC was bad enough and Chrysler sure isn't a pillar of reliability either. Something we live with because what they CAN do is awesome.

It's a Jeep thing NOW you understand. :lol:

Back