Tires for sand

colonialliberty

Hello all. I'm in Carolina Outer Banks country and want to drive on the beach to fish, surf,etc. I'm new to Jeeping and have never driven on the sand. Can I run my 215/75/16 wranglers at low pressure and do alright? (I see yuppies get stuck sometimes and I don't want to be one of those.) If not, what all around tires do you reccommend? I want something that won't kill my gas mileage on the road. Maybe 30s? I have a 2002 Liberty with stock 16x7 inch rims. I'd like to stay with my rims or maybe go with Rockcrawlers. Most wheel dealers around here push a lot of fancy and expensive chrome that doesn't interest me.

Tanks :-? [addsig]

From my Military training with Cut-V and Humm-V's they always taught us that if you let out 10-15% of the air in your tires, it will give you more surface area (less PSI) and allow you to travel the sand much easier. The problem with this is you need a compressor to re-inflate to normal pressure for the road. This tactic always worked for the Military wheeled rigs and we all know that they use Piza cutters.[addsig]

Thanks,

I'm looking into the compressor, but wasn't sure if I should start with a wider tire. Sounds like you don't think so.[addsig]

well, of course a wider tire is going to work better. Just trying to help you get by on the least amount of cash.[addsig]

You can air down, but with the sizes you specify, I would not go below 15 psi. a 215 is equivalent to a 7 1/2 inch wide tire on a 7 inch wide rim. If you go lower than 15 psi I would be worried about throwing a bead (without bead locks of course)

Just take it easy and don't throttle it all the way! Once you break those skinnies loose, they will sink quicker than the titanic (well that accually took a while but you get it)

Johnny[addsig]

Back