tires are too dang expensive

indiemo

So I'm tire shopping and got a quote from the local Firestone store. 5 31x10.50 Bridgestone A/T Dueler Revos, mounted on brand new AR-767 steel wheels, with lifetime balancing, rotation, and alignment....$1200.00. (Thats for tires and wheels) Tires being about $122/tire, and the wheels being $55/wheel. Does that seem steep to anyone else or am I being unrealistic. Almost makes me want to go stick some unmatched retreads on her for the winter and call it a day. :cry:

Always find a friend at a tire store. Then you can buy all your stuff from other places, slip your friend a 20 spot and they will mount them for you.

After all my shopping around I have found that buying tires from one place (tirerack.com) and having them shipped to you is cheaper. Buying your Rims from quadratec.com is cheaper. In the long run IF i said IF you screw up a tire then it is still cheaper to buy a new replacement from tirerack than it is to purchase their "in case sh$% (insurance).

What type of TRUCK should I buy?

try going to a mom and pop tire place who sells knock off tires. they use the same tread pattern, but are a different name "brand" it will save you some $$$$ and if you go to town fair tire with your quadratec catalog, they will match the price. with shipping costs. i got and AR 767 15x7 rim for $48.00

net dividers for the trunk

not sure i want to comprimise quality for cost 88wrangred. they might use the same tread design, but who knows if the tire itself is of adequate quality. and as far as ordering tires online l33t, i guess I could do that, but since i dont' have any buddies in tire shops, i'd feel bad taking tires to a shop and having them mount them since i didn't buy the tires off of them in the first place. maybe i'll buy the wheels off of quadratec and get some BFGs at NTB and have them mount everything up. that could be a decent compromise i guess and will probably save me about $300.

Actually Tirerack will ship your Tires to a local garage for mounting. The techs that do the mounting don't care about IF tires are sold there. They get paid by what they do. :) so the tech gets the same money if you do or don't purchase the tire from where they work.

If youre not stuck on the Firestones, check desert rat they have package deals that are really reasonable. They've got 31X10.5 R15 BFG AT's W/ US Wheels that are the same style as the AR's you want going for four wheels and tires mounted and balanced for $580 + $75 for shipping = $655

ProComp tires have 'buy 3 get 1 free' often. I also recommend TireRack.

That sounds a little steep for a 31" tire. Check out Futura and Kuhmo's for great inexpensive tires.

I'm guessing not since they don't mention them on the site :? . I'm going down there on monday to get a set of either the BFG AT's or MT's, so I'll find out soon enough :)

I just bought 5 new tires and wheels from DesertRat... came mounted, balanced, with lug nuts, locking lugs, centercaps, and all aired up! Ready to bolt on...

OutOfStep said:
If youre not stuck on the Firestones, check desert rat they have package deals that are really reasonable. They've got 31X10.5 R15 BFG AT's W/ US Wheels that are the same style as the AR's you want going for four wheels and tires mounted and balanced for $580 + $75 for shipping = $655

They do have some really good deals! :shock:

I just bought 5 new tires and wheels from DesertRat... came mounted, balanced, with lug nuts, locking lugs, centercaps, and all aired up! Ready to bolt on...
do they offer packages if you're getting 5 tires and wheels? I noticed that most of their package deals are for 4 tires. Also, can you specify backspacing on the wheels?

indiemo said:
not sure i want to comprimise quality for cost 88wrangred. they might use the same tread design, but who knows if the tire itself is of adequate quality. and as far as ordering tires online l33t, i guess I could do that, but since i dont' have any buddies in tire shops, i'd feel bad taking tires to a shop and having them mount them since i didn't buy the tires off of them in the first place. maybe i'll buy the wheels off of quadratec and get some BFGs at NTB and have them mount everything up. that could be a decent compromise i guess and will probably save me about $300.

FYI: DOT won't let the company sell an unsafe tire... What usually happens with those "off brand" tires is the factory will do a production run of x number of name brand tires... Then, the left over/extra materials will be used to make the off-brand... Only thing different is the sidewall mold... Also look into blems... DOT regs say blems can only be tires with cosmetic problems (ie: no structural problems)... So, you might look for some of those too...

just called desert rat. the only backspacing they offer in the rock crawler wheels is 3.75". The current backspacing (that keeps me even with the fenderwells) is 5.5". so If I go to a 3.75" backspacing, my tires are going to be sticking out of the fenderwells 1.75". not only will that look stupid, but it puts unnecessary stress on the wheel bearings. anyone know of any other sites that offer wheel/tire packages?

As with anything, if you have the patience, you will find a "deal". I bought my wheels on eBay for $100. I bought my tires from a local tire chan that was running an awesome sale on all the tires that they stocked (no orders). $430 for 4 BFG AT 32" mounted & balanced, and that included their "tire package"(road haz& other B.S.). I looked for about a month before I found that deal. If time is on your side, you will stumble across a set that wont break the bank!

Try these???

NTW: http://www.natltire.com/

4Wheel Parts: http://www.4wheelparts.com/
(free shipping this weekend)

Sorry I can't help you. I do know tires are expensive. lol I just bought five kuhmo's myself at 110 each for about 550 dollars of tires only. Well, five. I love them though and wouldn't turn back. I agree about quality too. An extra buck will take you a long way when it comes to quality. You never want to be the small percent of people who are going to have safety or other issues with a part.

Just my thoughts. Wish I could offer advice. I've heard alot about the tire rack though. I just went to a local tire place in a different state (no tax state) lol. That's how I saved some money on mine, through sales taxes.

Can you sell your old ones and recoup some of the money your putting out? I'm going to put mine up soon and hopefully get some of my costs back.

Lady

Local places are the best if you know you can trust them. The local tire shop i go to is great. I got 4 Mastercraft Courser MT's (mastercrafts are made by Cooper) for $104 a piece mounted and balenced. Plus they flipped the BFG AT i left as my spare so that the white lettering was in. Free rotation and awesome customer service. If you bought there, they will more than likely fix it free if you have a problem. My brother had a leak with his BFG ATs he bought there. Turned out he'd gotten mud in the bead. They had to break it down, clean and remount. When he asked what he owed them since it wasnt any kind of road hazard, they responed with "nothing, its an offroad tire, so we cant hold it against you for takin it offroad." All in all, its just a great place.

I just realized that wasnt really an answer for ya, but i guess im just saying that you should look for a reliable locally owned place.

Nathan

Back