Tire grooving

Bounty__Hunter

Super Moderator
Anyody here groove thier own tires? I've had a groover for about a year now, and just grooved my other set of swampers, my on-road set. I'm really happy how they turned out, I'm sure traction will be greatly improved. I'll post pics someday.

So now I've grooved my TSL Radials and my TSL/SX swampers. I grooved a buddies Thornturds and it really improved the traction, breaking up those huge solid center treadblocks that act like slicks. I stay about 1/2" in from the outer edge of the shoulder lugs, in hopes to keep them from chunking too much.

Anybody got any experiences or pics on this?

no experience, but i've considered doing it myself, you wouldnt happen to have your own pics to share would you?

Re: RE: Quote the Raven...er..Jeepz Peepz

My digital camera has been broke for a while. I'll see what I can do to get some pics.

I did my TSL/SX's like this:
Before:
image-missing.png

After:
image-missing.png

This is what my groover looks like:
image-missing.png

On my TSL Radials, I did a plunge cut about .5" in from the outer edge of the shoulder lug, and cut the shoulder lug in half. I continued toward the center of the tire tread cutting through the center lugs that run the circumference of the tire.

Never done it myself, but I definatly want to do my TSL's someday. All I've ever done is make the edges sharper, after they have warn down and become 'rounded'...Which I do because I've always done it with my dirtbike tires and it helps out A LOT!!

I would defintaly like to see pics of what others have done as well.

I have had tire shops do it for me in the past though, but I don't have any pics.

Oh, and I would also recommend staying like 1/2" or so away from the outer edges of the tire's lugs. If you go any closer they will start loosing chunks

Bounty... that looks great... if you ask me.. that is how TSLs should be cut in the first place... that goover pic is a little small (but dialup friendly for those users)... care to explain how it works? i saw one guy do it with a circular saw one time.. and it turned out fine

Looks good Bounty, that should help out the wet and winter traction some!

I think that some of those tires in that link, well somebody is getting a little over zealous with their new tire groover.

You did right by grooving your swampers though, and maybe siping can help too.

awesome! this is a great way to take a poor tire (ex. thornbirds) and turn them into a better tire!

I have only seen one down side to this, and htis is on the part of the person who did it... but... this particular person had a soft compound tire ( i believe super swamper SX's) but cut the lugs a bit on the small side, and tore some off when on slate and sharp rocks.

Ritt, that's the same one, but it comes with a #5 head and blades in the link I posted above. Little bit wider than the #4.

I'm really happy with the way my TSL Radials turned out the other day, should make a huge difference. There's still a lot of tread left to work with, I could still cut a groove or two in each center block without making the tread blocks too small. I'll save that for another day.

I was looking at the BFG MT's, and I'd start by cutting each center treadblock in half at about a 30* angle, perpindicular to how the treadblock is situated.

yea im applying the circular saw idea soon to my mud rovers, im just gonna set the depth and go at it. im gonna cut the center blocks in half and notch the outer blocks

I had initially tried an air grinder, with two wheels totalling about 1/4". Took way too long, too messy and too much smoke. Let me know how the circular saw works.

Ya, cutting tires with grinders or air-cut off tools really sucks with all the smoke and smell!!!!

I am also interrested in the circular saw idea. Be sure to post some pics of it currupt

Back