TH400 or Torqueflite 727

FiCJeep

which would be better? i have read alot on the TH400 but recently came across a Torqueflite 727 for a good price and was recently rebuilt by Jasper, but i do not know much about this particular transmission. whatever i choose will go in an 87 wrangler with a 258, dana 44's and be mated to a dana 300. i have heard both have efficiency issues and the 727 has heat issues?? but i dont know if these are true or just rumors. just let me know what you think or would recommend. thanks in advance fpr the input

I still have a TH400 with Jeep bolt pattern for sale. $100 bucks takes it. It will need to be built. If you are going to use a Dana 300 then you will need to get a Novak adapter for it.
You would be looking at:
$100 for my transmission
$400 for a rebuild
$424 for the Novak adapter
No it would not be a cheap swap, but we are talking about the toughest automatic made. You have to upgrade the crap out of a 727 to get it as strong as the 400 is stock.
I have been dogging the other one that's in my Jeep for several years with no troubles. It's sitting behind a 360 and pushing a 60 and 14 bolt with 39" Boggers.

The TH400 is probably first choice, the TF 727 a close second. If you get the 727, make sure you get a kit to match the carb witht he transmission. The TV (set up is critical). other than that a 727 with the loadflight valve body will probably out last your Jeep.

Dana 44 rear disc swap

The TH400 has an electric kickdown so no need for carb changes. Wire up a kickdown (if you want it) and you're done. I shift mine manually anyhow so I never wired a kickdown.
Bye the way, it compression brakes like mad with the 3.8 Atlas behind it. I don't even have to touch the brakes going downhill.

You can do away with the factory solid rod type kickdown with a cable kit from Lokar. You could also convert the valvebody to full manual operation with the race version of the Transgo brand reprogramming kit and eliminate the need for the kickdown, but the automatic function will be gone and you will have to manually shift up and down ALL the time. Other companies like B&M or TCI make kits and new valvebodies to convert the operation to manual, but the Transgo stuff is the best.

The TH400 without the kickdown will up shift but it will not downshift on hills or passing without the kickdown or manually shifting. When you stop it will start out in 1st again.
I usually dive it manually all the time because I drive it like I stole it and I like to push extra RPMs before I shift it.
On a side note, a friend of mine was running a TH400 behind an LT-1 in one of his buggies before he sold it and was notorious for getting it up to about 10-15 mph then slamming it in reverse. It would almost immediately change directions and go backwards. He did it more or less to show that the vehicles he sold were bad to the bone and could be flogged at will. It was awesome to watch and a real testament to the strength of the transmission. I don't recommend trying this but if that's your bag then by all means go ahead.

redrooster a full manual valvebody is an easy conversion. You would lose the auto operation completely, but the advantages of having complete control over both the up and down shifts outweigh the negatives. Plus, and more importantly, it's cool. A built automatic with a full manual valvebody and a ratchet shifter is more fun than a manual to me.

It only upshifts when it is in the "D" position. It has a B&M shift kit so it will hold first or second without shifting. A full manual valve body would suit me just fine but it would not be much different than the way I drive it now. Not worth changing for me.
I have a B&M Z gate shifter right now. I pulled the locking mechanism so that I don't have to bump and stop between gears. They serve a real purpose for drag racing but could get you in trouble with the style riding I do.
I have been known to stand it up. When that happens you need to go to reverse or neutral instantly not fool around with the ratchet. If you are already down in 1st and have to ratchet all the way to reverse before you go over backwards, then you will be in trouble.
If I were going to race it would be set up like you said.

Back