Synthetic winch cable?

mingez

Here's what the quadratec ad says:

NEW! AmSteel Blue Synthetic Winch Lines & Extensions
The unparalleled benefits of synthetic winch lines has made them the number one choice for competition rock crawlers and off roaders around the world. Made from the revolutionary AmSteel®-Blue 12 strand UHMWPF (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene fiber). These ropes yield the maximum in...

image-missing.png

Any of you used this? Or seen it used?

It required by Eroc Uroc and Neuroc. Ya Good stuff, but $$$.
They say it drops to the ground if it snaps. Not sure I never seen it snap.

Work pics

The only thing that would keep me from buying that product is that I have doubts as to how it would hold up being in the weather every day. Who knows it may hold up great, but a steel line will last a long time.

Those "rock" guys probably use that stuff on their trailered rigs that only come out to play on occaision.

It's synthetic and holds up fine to weather. I wouldn't use it on a trail rig here in the Midwest, my winch cable is always getting drug through all kinds of mud and muck and dirt really breaks down any rope fiber.

It's handy, very light and safer than steel. The comp I ran in allowed you to not use a winch cable weight if you were running the rope. It was a pain to use the weight on the steel cable as often as I winched in that comp.

When winching with it, you can see water getting squeezed out . Kinda kool ..
Its not real flexable like normal rope.

I don't know which catalog you looked in, but it's by no means new. Been around several years for winches, and was popular in the marine industry before that.

I'd try some out if it wasn't so darned expensive and I wasn't so darned tight.

Back