spring or shackle

duff

so i have started saving up for a 2'' - 2.5'' suspention lift for my cj { over the last 2 months i've put in a starter , ball joints , windsheild , tires , floor patches , weber carb , so it may take awhile } and i was wondering what the general opinion was on a shackle lift with quality shocks as oposed to a standard leaf spring lift. as always , money is a concern and if i can get a simular lift with the shackles for less money mabye that's the way to go . i'm running 31'' and won't be going bigger anytime soon.[addsig]

be careful with how you go with shackles... anything more than 1.5 inches of lift is getting into a different game... shackles can change your camber angle, loosen your springs, decrease life of springs, and such... if you want about 2-3 inches... i would suggest going with an add-a-leaf kit and possibly a 1 inch shackle lift[addsig]

that's kind of how i was thinking, just was'nt sure about the limit of shackle lift. even though money is a little tight, somethings you should'nt cut corners on. i wont be able to afford the lift for a little while but the ride in my jeep is real rough with the gas-matic shocks. is there a good riding shock that i could put in now and still use when the 2'' lift goes in?[addsig]

you can get a shock that is 2-4 inches longer than stock and use it now... and you can still use it when you lift it... i understand how it is when money is tight... i just did a 2" lift for $15, i can get another inch or inch.5 from shackles for another $30... my air shocks were $60 for the pair...[addsig]

how did you lift it for $ 15 ???[addsig]

bought some truck spring packs from a junk yard, took them apart, sanded them, and replaced 2 leafs per pack in mine[addsig]

To get 2" or 2.5" lift from shackles, the new lift shackles would need to be 4" or 5" longer than stock :-O

Try the add-a-leaf, I added an extra YJ long leaf to each pack and got 1.5" of lift. Be carefull not to add too many or too thick of leaves, as this will stiffen the ride and decrease spring flex. Think about a 1" body lift and TJ fender flares to help clear larger tires. These methods will help keep the center of gravity lower, which is more stable on road and off.[addsig]

Back