Someone upstairs has a strange sense of humor

Special_K

I knew my starter was on it’s last leg but geeeez. Granted, I procrastinated replacing it until today. But I finally called a retailer and ordered a brand spankin’ new Mean Green starter this afternoon at about 1:25 PM, they said they would get it from the distributor and have it ready for me by tomorrow morning. Around 1:45 PM, I call from a Kinko’s and tell them I would really like it today since my starter is on its last leg (even though I really believed it would be okay for at least a few more days). Nevertheless, I made arrangements to pick it up directly from the distributor in about an hour. At about 2:00 PM, I leave Kinko’s to pick up my new starter. I get in my Jeep, turn the key and I get “rararara….vroooom”. But wait…I forgot to unlock my center console which houses my stereo so I can play some tunes. I turn off the Jeep, unlock the Tuffy, try to re-crank and I get a “rrra…raaar…errmph”. That was it, my starter had finally kicked the bucket for good…and all I needed was a couple more starts.

I can’t complain too much since it coulda been worse. I wasn't far away and it was a nice day out...even if a little cool. I called a courier to pick the starter up and bring the starter to me, learned how to roll-start my jeep so I could get it home and replace the starter. Now my spankin’ brand new Mean Green starter is in so I turn the key and get the familiar “vroooom”. The new starter sounds funny but I'll get used to it. It's just funny that the old one finally completely died on the LAST crank that I needed to pick up the new one so I could replace it. Go figure.

Re: RE: Slip Yoke

Good story! But, man, the ol' "roll start" (or "bump start", as we used to call it) is one of the first things I learned (driving junk, you got to)!!! :lol: You know, a good whack with a BFH will prolong their life a little, too! :lol: Anyway, good to hear you're rollin' again.
(BTW - love those sound effects! :lol: )

RE: Sputtering / fixed

It's just funny that the old one finally completely died on the LAST crank that I needed to pick up the new one so I could replace it. Go figure.

Of course that's what happened...you're a jeeper. Murphy rules your life! :wink:

i think i went through three advance autoparts starters in a month, im still on the same one. i wouldnt mind investing in a mean green tho if i could pick one up for cheaper than 300 bucks

RE: i need iPod help

Back in 86, I was in the process of buying a new Ford truck.
At the time, I was driving a 79 Camaro, that I was keeping and not trading in. I did the deal on the truck and was heading out from the dealership to get insurance on the new truck. I made it to the insurance office and the starter quit on the Camaro out of the blue. :oops: :oops:

I figured that she was feeling a little left out of the process and just wanted me to remember where I came from... :)
The salemen who was selling me the truck brought me his personal car to drive for the day. You don't see that much anymore.

Several years later I was bringing a brand new bass boat home, towing it with the 86 Ford and half way home, I hung a ring and dropped a cylinder, out of the blue. Lucky it was under extended warranty by 2000, miles.

Such is life 8)

mud4feet said:
Good story! But, man, the ol' "roll start" (or "bump start", as we used to call it) is one of the first things I learned (driving junk, you got to)!!! :lol: You know, a good whack with a BFH will prolong their life a little, too! :lol: Anyway, good to hear you're rollin' again.
(BTW - love those sound effects! :lol: )

"POP START" - East Coast lingo.

I had an 86 F250 extended cab diesel......... bad glow plug relay, I was broke off my ass & couldn't afford to fix it!

THAT WAS A CRAPPY FEW MONTHS!!
You start looking for parking spots with even the slightest incline, or finding a parking spot outside a busy place, so you can gather help when you are ready to leave!

man the pushing I had to do with that son of a bitch!
(then there were the few times I went to go "hop in" after I got enough momentum going, and misstepped.......there I am falling on my ass, nearly getting run down by my own not even running, out of control heading towards parked cars/buildings F250!!!
:roll:

RE: i need iPod help

Ah the good old days of the pop start. My buddies 85 rabbit pop started more than regular started I believe. Damn thing had 360,000 miles on it before he had enough money to get something newer.

RE: Sorry if i come across as a mean-o

When I went to trade my Jeep for the 4x4 I have now, I towed it roughly 150 miles one way, and then was going to tow my "new" truck home. I was driving a '73 Chevy pickup with a HUGE 2 car trailer. When I got there, the starter crapped out on my tow rig after we were all loaded up and ready to go. And, sure enough, the truck I was picking up had no starter either (it's a '74 Chevy). Me and 5 of my friends had to push start that thing, with the truck all loaded down, including 4 addidional, complete, engines in the bed the truck. That was fun...

Back