Some snow wheelin

Bounty__Hunter

Super Moderator
Went out Sunday to some private property our Jeep club has access to. It's old strip mine property so it's mostly hills, some big rocks, and lots of mud. It's very tough in anything but dry conditions, and it's all ours. Mine is the red YJ, steamin.
Adam1-3.jpg

Jim1-3.jpg

Chris2-3.jpg

Chris1-3.jpg

Joe1-3.jpg

Capt1-3.jpg

far_right said:
i love your tow strap carrier :mrgreen:

Was thinking the same thing! Is it for you to get pulled out or for you to pull them out or both? hehehe My son keeps one on his front bumper all the time now it saves time getting him out of trouble. tug

Did you go through the hole backwards? or is that just how you posted the pics?

Any Who, looks like it was a good time!!

The first pic of my jeep is as far as I could get through the hole, the bottom was real soft and my BFG MT's have seen better days. I was barely able to back out, had to work my way back and forth until I got to where the second pic was taken. It's steam.

In the past I've been able to make it through and up the hill to the left of my front tire. That was with my swampers, though, and less mud/water in the hole. The hole looks kinda tame in the pics, but it was dug deeper when I was churnin to get out.

We've got quite a few trails on this 80 acres, and a lot more to build. There is one ravine we call the 'Grand Canyon', it's twice as deep as the other ravines, and littered with boulders. The bottom holds water, so it's 2' to 3' of mud in places. We haven't driven to the bottom yet :twisted: but it's guaranteed to have to be winched out. We'll have some trails into there this next year.

What's nice is the property is fenced, and we have a key to the gate. The property owners have been very generous and can not charge due to insurance reasons. We restrict the property to club members only at the request of the owners, and make improvements to the property. We'll be hauling in rock for the entrance drive soon, and maybe building a pavilion.

Illinois has a law that waives the liability of landowners if they allow free recreation on their property. It was created to promote hunting but works great for our purposes. If your state has something similar, it may be a great bargaining tool to gain access to private property.
Our club carries insurance and we use waivers, so the landowners are protected in three ways.

Luckily the strap was only for others that day, but you never know. Do to the large amount of hills, and their closeness, strapping is nearly futile. I had to winch the ZJ from where it was high centered in the pic, had to use a snatch block on a tree the next ridge over, and I was at the base of the hill the ZJ was on.

Great setup you got there with the land. Be thankful. I wish I had a place like that close to me! Anyways, enough whining. Nice pics!

Back