Smooth riding lift- suspension or SOA

sarge

93 4 Cyl Wrangler- This Jeep is my primary trail vehicle but also my daily driver. I am trying to find the best way to get a few inches of lift without sacificing ride quality and possibly improving it. I am considering either suspension or SOA. Mainly I would like to know of any problems you have had with certain brands as fas as suspension kits or even better which brand you recommend. [addsig]

Well you might as well face it pal...anything you do to your jeep's suspension is going to change the way it rides and handles. You say you are just wanting "a few inches". SOA will give you about 5-6 inches...nearly enough for 35's, but you need to know what you are doing to get a good ride out of it. If you just want like 1 or 2 inches (say to fit 31's) I would do a body lift....this does nothing to the ride or handling. Shackle lifts are very cheap but cause nasty handling problems (bump steer and wandering). Most suspension lifts are fairly easy to put on but are often very stiff (can you say kidney belt?). Most people will tell you to get an OME or BDS lift. I have a skyjacker 4 inch lift on my YJ and I like it...its one of the more expensive ones but the ride is good...a little stiffer than stock but not bad...some people have complained of sagging with skyjacker but I have not noticed any sagging on mine yet. Definitely stay away from Pro Comp lifts....they are very very stiff.[addsig]

No snitty i like stiff suspension but ray is right pro comp is like cinderblocks for bumpstops with no springs under the axle, me my self like my oldman emu set up it more expensive but very good also what is your idea of a rough ride and what types of trails are going to ride on I have herd that teraflex are pretty cushy compared to most but are way expensive or just do a coil conversion (go all out)

marc[addsig]

Oh... The way I like my suspension is really no good for offroading... but it still works well for the trails around here... I have air shocks.. when they are filled all the way up, there is NO up and down movement... but the good thing about that is... it can still articulate... when one wheel goes up... the air from the other side replaces the air in the raised side... So its really not too bad off road. If I were to have my stiff suspension with gas shocks... there would be no articulation. I like my suspension to feel like a 1 ton truck. most people like a soft ride with the "floating" feeling so they feel nothing... I like it really solid with minimal bounce[addsig]

Back