skyjacker lift

wadesbrain

RE: Re: RE: the eagles are going to jacksonville

hey
still havent fixed my cold start problem. new tuneup cap rotor wires plugs battery and still no go in the cold. warm weather its great. friend told me to try the ol drygas deal. ill let you know on the next tank what happens. ANYWAy, thinking bout a skyjaker 2-4" lift. Is that the way to go? I dont mind spending the money to do it right. What will i need besides the basic kit. What else will be affected? '94 yj.

RE: Yet another crazy and overzealous Jeep seller on Ebay...

Get a rough country or BDS lift. I have heard bad things about Skyjacker leaf spring lifts.

RE: What do you guys think?

I don't know what you heard bad about Skyjacker. I don't think I ever knew or even heard of anyone who didn't like theirs. As far as I know they are top notch and their springs are excellent.

BDS has served me well on my present rig......there is a recent post on Rough Country...it didn't seem to get many positive reviews from our fellow Jeeperz. I personally know nothing about TC lifts. I had a 4" Skyjacker on a 79 Dodge that was a good lift. It rode nice.

RE: What do you guys think?

I have a 4" skyjacker softride lift for a YJ and I love it! Flexes better better than any other YJ lift. I had rough country, and it is nice, but not much in the way of flexable performance and the ride quality was also something left to be desired. If you are looking for a inexpensive lift, this is a decent lift.
Here is a pic from the other day of a buds 3.5 inch rough country, and the rear tire is off the ground. very poor flex.
image-missing.png

I also had pro comp.... never buy it, sucked!
also had super lift on my 77 blazer, after three months I snapped a leaf spring and they refused to replace it for free cause I took the truck off road???
Now I run the skyjacker soft ride and wow! Flexes better then a standard 4" tj lift on the RTI ramp (not a long arm kit) the ride quality is awesome.. rides better than a luxury car I swear, none of the bumps and jerks generally accosiated with a arched spring lift. The down side is, the 4" is more like a 3.5" lift, cause the springs are very flexxy, they will sitt a little lower. with YJ flares, I had no problem putting the tire way up into the fender, now with TJ flares and the fender basically all cut out, I still put the tire into the fender every now and then under flex.

Here is a old pic of the YJ you can see that it sits a little lower
image-missing.png

This is back when I had the original flares
image-missing.png

The lift has been under the jeep for the better part of four years, and I wheel as often as I can, at least twice a month, somethimes 5-6 times, so it has held up well!

as for bds yj lifts, boston jeep and Bizzle both run them, and very litte flex as well. Brian (Bizzle) almost went up side down cause of the lack of flex, but... this lift will let you run a 35" tire if you want!

image-missing.png

Those axles should be flexinf at some point

but... this is a quality lift, as is all that I mentioned... If you are going to only play in mud, stiff springs are a god send, if you play in the rocks, you need flexy!

jet chip

I always heard they were really stiff and didnt flex well, but I guess I heard wrong! I know that my buddys TJ lift was junk, too much money for too little performance, but maybe the leaf springs are different.

Guns Wanted.

Back in the day Skycrapper was known for leaf springs that quickly sagged. I had a set back in '94 or '95, they didn't last at 4" for very long. I haven't heard anything about their springs being prone to sagging lately, they're likely past all that. But you know how reputations go. They did ride and flex well.

Stay away from Rancho and ProComp, way stiff springs.

Keep in mind that there's a lot more to flex and a smooth ride than just leaf springs. Take jps4jeep's pic of his bud's Rough Country lift above. He's touting that it doesn't flex because it's Rough Country, but it shows nothing of the status of the swaybar or track bars. We also know nothing of the bumpstops.

Hopefully you can sort through all the differing advice and get something you're happy with.

RE: Re: Cherokee purchase, what model is best?

BDS is great quality, i run with a buddy who has a BDS lift on his 92yj, runs a 2inch body lift, and can still stuff his 32s to scrape the inside of the fenders. i run skyjackers 2" softrides on my soa and they see a lot more flex than most peoples SUA lift kits will ever see. ive even swapped in a stock leaf in the rear to even out the rake because the massive size of my 8.8 tubes and they still arent sagging. theyre good springs so either one is a good choice. dont do that mono leaf crap though.

My BDS lift flexed like a champ. I had comments from guys with TJ's on how well it flexed.

Some folks are talked into putting the front BDS springs in the rear or something like that but I had the lift on mine the way it was designed. Did that YJ have the swaybars disco'd??? I find it hard to belive that BDS kit wasn't flexing. Were his shackles too tight? Something was definately wrong there.

Here's mine flexing:
all 4 on the ground:
image-missing.png

same position other side:
YJflx-3.jpg

all 4 on the ground:
EFNSGPDRM0322JPG-3.jpg

Keep in mind this is a 4 banger - a light jeep and you can see that the first 2 pics weren't really anything challenging, just some uneven ground. The third pic shows the one tire all the way up inside the wheelwell, the other side was drooped quite nicely - too bad I didn't get a better shot.

Re: RE: 2.5L question

When you guys find that magic spring that flexes like it's made of rubber, rides like a Cadillac, never sags no matter how much you overload it or use it, provides at least an inch more lift than what's advertised, and comes with a free bag of money.....let me know, I need a lift for the TJ :lol:

Skyjacker is a good quality lift. I swapped out a set on a customers yj due to the rough country crap spring taking a shit. Rough country has since sent me out 2 sets of springs to make up for their "bad" batch. So i have a set of 3" and a set of 4" spring for sale cheap. I will put NO guarantee on these springs. However according to rough country they have found all the bad springs and removed them from circulation. They claim it was a problem with the heat treating process. So if anyones interested let me know.

RE: 3 CHEERS!

Bounty__Hunter said:
Keep in mind that there's a lot more to flex and a smooth ride than just leaf springs. Take jps4jeep's pic of his bud's Rough Country lift above. He's touting that it doesn't flex because it's Rough Country, but it shows nothing of the status of the swaybar or track bars. We also know nothing of the bumpstops.

Thanks for calling me on that BH, I run both front and rear trac bars, but no sway bar. the red YJ i showed runs only a front trac bar. rear has been removed and sway bar disconnects.

thaks for all the input guys. Im thinking now about 4" lift. what else should i do to the suspension in addition to the lift to keep it correct?

Stinkin, Heim Joints...

If you buy a complete kit it should come with most everything you need.
Springs, bushings, bumpstops, brake lines or relocation brackets, trackbar brackets, shocks, pitman arm, swaybar links or disconnects, transfer case lowering kit... I don't think I'm forgetting anything but you will need all that to do it right.

Soak all your bolts with PB Blaster about a week or so before, repeating every day.

Replacing the steering stabilizer is a good idea, especially for bigger tires.

Get a front end alignment when it is all done.

Back