Shocks?

LtFuzz

i'm ordering shocks as a Christmas present for myself but i'm stuck on what to get....i'm either looking at the Rancho RS5000 or this 4Way Coil over shock....around the same price ($50ish)...my question is which would give me a smoother ride?

Capt Cox
USAF Aux

I have had no issues with my BDS Shocks (which are produced in the same factory as Rancho) I have to say that I have a smoother ride with the New, aftermarket shocks. I have never played with Coil Over so I can't compare them for you.

RS5000's are a gas-charged shock and, as such, ride very stiff. Stick with a hydraulic shock if you're looking for a smooth ride.

Doetsch-Tech 3000's ride very smooth and have a lifetime warranty for about $30 each. Also check out Rusty's hydros.

i am running BDS shocks as well..no problems with em. they ride as good as can be expected in a jeep.

4way coil over shocks will seriously limit your flex and make for a rough ride because they limit the shock's travel. A good set of hydraulic shocks would be a much better choice.

never lean against a tree again

so for a smoother road ride i should stick with gas shocks rather than coil overs?

For an even smoother ride stick with hydraulic shocks over gas shocks. Gas-charged shocks are better for hitting bumps at speed, like baja, not the type of wheelin most jeepers do. This provides a much harsher ride than hydros.

Just a question from someone who is fairly mechanically inclined but who hasn't worked on jeeps (or autos for that matter) all that much. I've got a 1991 2.5L YJ (totally stock :? for now).

How difficult is it to replace the shocks on the YJ? And roughly how much time should it take? Any other tips/suggestions would be great. And thanks for the discussion on shock type, very useful.

Cheers,
Geoff

It's easy, should only take about 15 to 20 minutes per shock. I recommend spraying all shock bolts the day before and the day of with PB BLaster, it'll make them come apart much easier.

Shocks aren't too bad... You don't need much besides a Socket Wrench Set and maybe a good Floor Jack. Might as well grease all the fittings while your down there too.
Changing the leaf springs though... I think those would be a b!tch...

The 4 way's aren't coil-overs like you see on a hardcore rock crawling rig. They're a regular shock with a p.o.s. coil mounted to them with hex head screws. I bought one of their steering stabilizers but ended up putting it on ebay because one look and I knew it would limit my turning radius, just like they would limit wheel travel.

Back