shift knob - stupid question

jugghead23

I just bought a 98 SE and want to pull the stock shift knob to replace with something else.

I can't, for the life of me, get the shift knob off. There are no 'flat spots' on the knob to put a wrench on. Shouldn't it just spin right off? clockwise?

Maybe I'm just not putting enough muscle behind it.

[addsig]

on my YJ, there is a nut that is seperate from the knob that is underneath it. It has a flat spot on each side, loosen that and then your knob should just spin off... that is unless they changed the design since 91! Good luck[addsig]

You need to pry the top cap off from the top of the knob. A small screw driver will fit between the cap and the rubber on the side once you have pryed that off you will see the nut that is holding it on.

Good luck

[addsig]

Yea, there is no 'nut' at the bottom of the knob, there is no flat spot to wrench.
I know what you're talking about because my YJ also had this setup. The shift knob is new for the TJs[addsig]

No you have to either pry the top part
off where the shift diagram is and take
the nut off ...or on my 02' I took some chanel
locks and unscrewed it........ :-D [addsig]

Maybe try a strap wrench, available at most part stores and inexpensive. You'll
get good leverage and you won't distroy your existing shift knob.[addsig]

eat some wheaties in the morning, and spinach for lunch... plenty of water and gatorade... then give it a try at about 5pm... she'll come off[addsig]

Did you get that poor little thing off yet??? :lol: :lol: :lol: [addsig]

Back