shackle problem

burton

i installed a 3/4" shackle lift with my 4" lift kit on my cj7. The shackle have a center pin but when I installed the shackles, the outside bolts tighted down but the center pin seems to be too wide. Now the shackles are bending in. My question is can I just remove that middle bolt so theres no stress on the shackles anymore or will it screw it up?

The center pins will add some stability. I'd say keeping them would be best, but I ran 5" long shackles without any center braces for about a year with no troubles. With 3/4" lift I'm guessing they are 5.5" long? That's a bit of a stretch as I was never really comfortable with mine.

How bad is it? Couldn't you just put some washers in there to space out the gaps between the bushings and the shackle side plates? If so, I would grease them a bit.

are they one piece shackles? if they are not, can you modify the center piece? TC has a good idea with the washers if they are not TOO wide

The center bolt is put there for a reason to keep you from putting them on too tight. If the shackle is against the bushing then it is tight enough . Shackle is not for lift it is made to flatten spring 3/4 is not to bad though , remember it will only lift half of the spring ,half the amount of the shackle but will make a change on the pinion angle .

Back