Shackel Reversal Pros and Cons?

Tug-n-pull

Hey folks I am looking to get started real soon with some mods. 87 YJ 4 banger 5 speed stock sup. I really like the looks of the shackel reversal and was just wondering what is the points to ponder before doing this mod. I am getting my springs re-arched and adding a long leaf to give about 1 to 1.5" in lift. Would like to get a little longer shackel maybe an inch lift there. I can get the re-arch done here complete for 200.00 parts and labor! Am I looking at this from the right angle or do I just need to go ahead and buy a small lift like a 2.5" rubicon? Trying to get the bigest bang for the buck and still have the money for tires. The route I am looking at could be the cheapest way out for me but is there something I am not seeing here? Thanks in advance for any help Tug[addsig]

Save your money, don't do a shackle reversal. To do it correctly, you need to cut and sleeve the frame for the upper shackle hanger, similar to how the rear is done from the factory. Putting the mount below the frame is WRONG, way too much caster and the spring and shackle will be too close to the ground behind the front tire.

There has also been argument that a SRS unloads the pressure from the front tire when you encounter an obstacle, since the shackle moves backwards. There may be some truth to this. A solid frame mount behind the tire keeps the pressure on the tires moving forward. It's a little rougher ride, but could result in more traction.

I did the extra long leaf from YJ front springs on two jeeps now, 1.5" on each jeep. Get a pair of front springs, and use the top two leafs from each pack, cutting off the spring eyes. The top leaf from each pack goes on front, second leaf on each pack goes in back.

I've also installed a 1" body lift for $25 and TJ flares for $50, which gives me plenty of room for 31" swampers, which run larger than most 31" tires.[addsig]

There are benefits to the shackel reversal, but overall I think you would be better off savin your $$ for some other mods. I have said it before and will say it again, I believe in making your own parts for the Jeep than buying them. If you are into fabricating, I would recommend doing a SOA. We did ours for around $100, which should leave money for tires as well. But it depends on how high you wanna go. I am at 7.5" of lift and can't wait to add some more to stuff some 38.5's under there.....
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

But in my opinion, save the money and put it into more lift or bigger tires, these will help you much more than the shackle reversal will I think...[addsig]

Thanks for all of the input here. I just want about 3.5 to 4" total lift so I can run 31's and have plenty of room under the fenders. I may change my mind and want to go 33's but no bigger. Still searching the evidence and facts for the best and brightest mods. I will get there with a bit of help from my friends. Thanks again Tug
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Tug- I started out with shackles, I don't know if you are anything like me, (God help you if you are!!
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
) but once the 'lift bug' bites you, you are addicted. It may take some time, but once you see what you can do with a little more lift and tires, you begin to wonder what another couple inches will do.....

Just a friendly warning!!! I never thought that when I bought my Jeep it would become as much a part of my life when I did. It has taken time and $$ from my Camaro that I thought would never happen... but I am glad it did!!![addsig]

Back