Rubicon vs others - HELP PLEASE!!

rosso1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I JUST sold my 1991 Wrangler (sniff, sniff) and am going to buy a new Jeep in the next couple of days. I have always wanted a Rubicon but am wondering about maintainence costs.

The Rubicon has lots more toys on it and I was wondering if this just means more to go wrong. Does anyone own a Rubicon and if so, could you comment about this? Thanks in advance for your help!

Ross

I dont own one, but I wouldnt worry about too much going wrong with it. I havent heard a single negative comment. Plus if you are buying new you have that lovely factory warrenty.

I don't have one either but I do have an 04 Sahara and sometimes wish I'd spent the little bit more for the Rubicon.

Good luck with the decision.

I dont know why you would want a rubicon unless you just plan on wheeling on the highway.....

Buy a real Jeep like a YJ or CJ and build it the way you want for less than half the price of a rubicon and 100 times more capable than a rubicon will ever be.

:twisted:

The Rubicon has lots more toys on it and I was wondering if this just means more to go wrong.

Doesn't really have that many more toys (the lockers are all I can think of).....just beefier ones, so I wouldn't worry. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

I don't think there would be any maintenance costs on the Rubicon -vs- any other new Wrangler. As for the extra toys, they will probably help avoid breaking stuff

the rubi has plenty of great toys or components that the tj doesnt. d44 front and rear, air lockers, 4.1 tcase, subwoofer, bigger meatier tires, and a better protected steering box. dont buy a rubi from 03! the front shafts are notorious for throwing u joints and spinning the ears off. my dads did it at paragon and the guys there told us that that is the second most broken axle there right behind the d35. we were wheeling the hell out of it tho. heh. the rubi is right where its at if you buy a new jeep, get a long arm kit and get rid of that shovel of a skid plate tho

Wait for the unlimited rubicon. Coming in december.......

the belly up kit might void the warrenty ? The d44s are not unbreakable ( Not even close).
Buy a 4x4 ATV.

Why i dont understand ............ they are an expensive waste......... buy a real Jeep and build it the way you want for half the price........ why buy something that is only partially capable of something you can build yourself

FiCJeep said:
Why i dont understand ............ they are an expensive waste......... buy a real Jeep and build it the way you want for half the price........ why buy something that is only partially capable of something you can build yourself

What I don't understand is why people always try to talk others out of what they want to do. Also pisses me off when they call ANY Jeep not a real Jeep but that's another rant. Look, some people don't wan't to buy an old Jeep full of someone elses problems. We don't all have a garage full of tools, a welder, friends that want to help, or the know how to buy an old clunker and fix it up. Some people have the money to spend and if they want to buy a new Jeep, there is nothing wrong with that. It is not a waste to them. I'm thrilled with my Jeep even though some of you would call it a 'waste'. It's still a real Jeep and all mine.

Ok, I'm done ranting. :)

Regarding the Site...

I say go for it. There's nothing wrong with the Rubicon. I'd take one for my camping machine. For the rough stuff, I've got my far from stock CJ.
If the front drive shafts are spitting caps then it is more than likely the half circle clips that they all come with. That is easily fixed with a little grinder love and some full circle snap rings. It's not just a Rubi, I have seen lots of D60's do that too.
Oh yeah, and since when are 31's "meaty tires." Well, I guess they are meatier than 215's.

I would have definitely bought one if it was out when I bought my tj. I would throw a long arm kit 35's and wheel the hell out of it. Just my opinion.

What the networks did not want you to see

yea thing is i know the d44 isnt ubreakable and like south442 said, not everyone has the time and the money to put into building a jeep. you add up all the stuff youd have to buy and do to build a jeep as capable as the rubi and tell me it wont add up to more. this means new parts, not parts that could possibly have problems. i kno you cna go to the junk yard and pull axles but then you gotta weld brackets and then you gotta do gears and change seals etc etc. and tcases and transmissions. the rubi is a great option for those people with minimal wrenchign experience and for those who just dont have time and who want a very, very capable jeep.

Corrupt, An "X" model with a BB, BL, 33" TSLs, and a rear locker would put a factory Rubicon to shame in the mud......I could do that cheaper than the price of a Rubicon. I agree with you in spirit, I just wanted to be a butthole and point that out.

HEY JEEP!!!!! I don't rockcrawl......just let me get the locked D44s in a plain TJ already.....Geeeeeez :x
I could dig the Rubicon more if everybody didn't get all worked up about it. Cool, but the bastiiids should have done it years ago. Where's my V8?

I could dig the Rubicon more if everybody didn't get all worked up about it. Cool, but the bastiiids should have done it years ago. Where's my V8?

Yeah, Junk, I've always wondered about that.....where's the V8?? And where's it been?? (of course, this is spoken by the owner of a 4banger)

I will be buying one this spring for sure. Dont buy an old jeep. Buy that nice new Rubicon that hasnt been beaten to hell by someone else, that way you can take pride and have comfort knowing you beat it up yourself. Nice factory warranty. It is ridiculous to say the Rubicon is not as capable as other Jeeps. Stock there is not another Jeep capable of what the Rubicon is, and lets not forget you can make almost the same modifications to a Rubicon that you can any other TJ.

Sully wrote:

Wait for the unlimited rubicon. Coming in december.

Sully is a genius!

He must be! His idea is the same as mine. :D

I attended the “Premier Night” soiree recently at my local Jeep dealer. I was very impressed with the Unlimited, and found out that the Unlimited is available for leasing.

If the rumored Rubicon Unlimited materializes, that is the way I will go next May.

I would look good in one of those. The fact that I don't offroad is completely irrelevant. :wink:

Regards,

Unlimited Gadget

Back