Roof Rack

90Xjay

I am looking to buy a roof rack/basket for the 90 XJ, can you folks chime in and let me know what has worked and not worked for you? I want a rack that will fasten to the factory rails for a no-drill install. I would like any links to sites with pics. Thank you!!

I know you said no drill, but (not that bad really) - i made one from PVC for like $50 in parts.. its worth considering....

I saw graewulfs rack and it looks great. I would consider the pvc. Other then that Warroir products has one that is not bad priced and does not need drilling to mount.

The factory roof rack rails are only rated at like 150 lbs, and that is evenly spaced out over the roof. Checking on ebay you can pick up a cheap set of gutter mounts and for the cherokee you need a 58" load bar. Yakima and thule makes them and they go for only ~$50 for both. But I guess it depends what you want to put up there. Yakima makes a cheap basket for ~$100 that is called the basketcase. Its smaller than the other ones, but it works. Just depends what you are using it for. Looks vs. actual use. Or just fab one, but again the racks arent the most secure.

Kellen

sure, the factory rails are rated at 150lbs.. but what are you gonna put up there? spare tire and recovery gear, hi-lift??? i doubt you will exceed the 150lbs with that... I plan on hitting the junkyard and gettign the cross bars off another GC so i'll have 4 of them supporting the rack, then there is no way i'll overload it.

For me, I only want a rack for light stuff on trips that I dont want inside.
and a place to maybe mount some forward and back facing lights. I would not be interested in putting the spare up there, although I think it looks great. I would most likley be under the 150 lb limit.

Hi,

I learned how well the stock roof rack rail system on my cherokee worked after trying to use it about a year ago... well not very well seeing as how the crappy rubber/plastic parts broke off and I lost the rack on the highway :shock:

Ohh well, what can I expect from something that old that used to sit out in the sun alot? Too bad the factory racks weren't/aren't made of all metal, though :?

I haven't had any form of rack since... been meaning to weld one together though. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Back