Revolver Shackles Question (CRAIG)

meanGreen

I've got a lot of play in the handling. I bought a Rancho steering stabilizer thinking it would fix the problem. After a closer look I discovered the new stabilizer has the same part number as the old. Needless to say, I didn't install the new one. Now I'm wondering if the play is coming from the Revolver shackles that were installed by the previous owner. Does anyone have these specific shackles? If so, how much does it effect the handling on your rig

ANdrew

Looks like you have almost the exact same lift as mine. Your telescoping front trac bar might be loose. I've heard that a lot of those telescoping trac bars come loose very easily. I tried removing my trac bar and the steering was all over the place. Put it back on and it drives the same as if I had regular shackles on it. I don't think the stabilizer will make any difference. I'd also double check your steering box to make sure it's not broken off the mount...you might need a steering box brace.

Now I've got a question for you...I have a buyer for my 31" tires and can get a new set of 33's for the same price I'm selling my used 31's for (it's good to have friends in the tire wholesaleing business). I need to put a body lift on my YJ temporarily till I can get all the parts together for my SOA. Do your 33's rub with that little of lift? I can get a 3" body lift for real cheap (I know 3" body lifts look really bad but it's only temporary) but I'd rather go with a 1" if I can get away without it rubbing.

A steering stabilizer is not going to stop "play" on the steering. It's there to soften the jolt when you hit holes, rocks, etc...
Do like Craig said first and check the track bar. I would not run revolver's without a track bar. Your's may need adjustment if it telescopes. Loosen the telescope part while the Jeep is on flat ground and see if the axle is centered under the Jeep (should be) tighten it back down.
Then resume your search by inspecting the steering shaft, steering box and mounts, drag link, tie rod and the tie rod ends. You may need to jack the front end up and shake the tire to see if the rod ends are any good.

Thanks for the tips. I'll check the track bar tonight. I'm also getting the whole front end checked out by my mechanic just to make sure there aren't any serious issues. I don't want to end up stuck in the Poconos this weekend! Craig- The fenders were trimmed when i bought it so there's no rubbing. I'de stay away from that 3" body lift. I saw it on a jeep while i was still shopping around. It looks like CRAP! You should be fine with one inch since you already have the Old Man Emu. I've got some 31" Firehawks that came with my jeep. How do your 31 Yoko's handle in the slop? I might try them out after this weekend just to see if they are worth keeping.

meanGreen said:
I'de stay away from that 3" body lift. I saw it on a jeep while i was still shopping around. It looks like CRAP! You should be fine with one inch since you already have the Old Man Emu. I've got some 31" Firehawks that came with my jeep. How do your 31 Yoko's handle in the slop? I might try them out after this weekend just to see if they are worth keeping.
Looks like I'm gonna go with the 3" body lift. My fenders aren't trimmed and I don't wanna trim them right now. I know it looks really bad but it's only temporary for a month or two. I'm gonna make something to hide the gap. My Yokohama's are great. I've had both the mud and allterrain versions and they are both excellent tires. The mud version is the quietest running mud tire I've ever had. Handles good on wet pavement too. The new 33's I'm getting are the Yokohama Geolander Mudterrains.

i personally don't like the look of a body lift that has not been reconciled... if the bumpers are raised, and/or there is something to fill the gap, then it can look quite alright... wranglers are one of the vehicles where the bottom of the body is at the top of the frame, and a body lift will not be hidden by body panels

3 inches is a little much though wouldnt you think? Thats huge! I am with snitty on this, I too dont like the look of space between the body and the frame. I have a 1 inch BL and I still look and the space and go "ugly, just ugly." Its your jeep though, I am just not a fan of the BL.

Mingez's next mod.

The only thing that sucks about a 3" (besides the gap) is lengthening all those hoses and your short shifter (if you have a 5 speed). As long as it's temporary, we'll letcha get away with it. :wink:

How did this post get changed to body lifts? Here is a question about the origninal subject... Is there anything that locks the revolver in place and keeps them from opening up while on the road? That seems like it would work... just pull a couple pins maybe when you hit the trails. Anyone do that? If not maybe I'll fab something up at the shop for meanGreen.

Joopin said:
How did this post get changed to body lifts? Here is a question about the origninal subject... Is there anything that locks the revolver in place and keeps them from opening up while on the road? That seems like it would work... just pull a couple pins maybe when you hit the trails. Anyone do that? If not maybe I'll fab something up at the shop for meanGreen.
I don't think it's the revolvers opening that causes the axle movement. I think it's because the head on the revolver rotates. You'd have to find a way to prevent the head from rotating.

it MAY be possible to somehow pin the revolver to the frame...

here's a solution.... i'll send you my stock shackles... you send me the revolvers... even trade

Back