Refurb '90 XJ or Buy Newer One?

Special_K

I have a buddy (Todd a.k.a. BONESTOCK) whom I keep trying to get to get online but he's been resisting...I'll change that. :D Anyway, he has a 1990 Cherokee which we've taken on a couple of off-roading trips. But now, the bug has bitten him and he wants to do more. Cha-ching!!! So his question is:

To make his XJ an even more capable lean-mean offroading machine would he be better off keeping his current bone stock (hence the nickname) 1990 XJ with about 180K miles and fixing it (e.g. bigger tires, lift, racks, etc.)...

...or...

Buy a newer model XJ (like '01 or whatever the last year was) that's already loaded with all the goodies?

His buget in both cases is $10,000. He can do a lot of stuff to his XJ with that amount, but he's wondering if there's some reason why he should try to get a newer model Cherokee (or some reason why he should stay with his 1990).

As you provide your kernels of wisdom, don't forget to give Todd a hard time until he joins the forum himself!! :twisted: Todd, we don't bite...and even if we did, it's kind of hard to do online. :D

Thanks in advance.

Ken 8)

The high ouput engine came in 91. That's about the only reason I would want to start with a newer one, but it wouldn't be enough to make me sell one to get another.
If he is building a serious trail rig out of that XJ, I would suggest the first project be a set of subframe connectors, or stiffeners or whatever you call them now. The "chassis" has some durability problems in the really rough stuff.

For ten grand, he could buy and build a damn nice YJ for the trails.

If he has $10,000 to spend on mods or simply buying an already built Jeep, I would say buy another one. After he sells his current Jeep, he will have the money from that, plus the $10,000.

man 10,000 on mods! I'd keep the XJ, atleast he knows what type of condition it is in...never know what ya might get buying a used one. keep it..get mods!

How does it look? ride?

If the thing is relatively rust free I say keep it and build it.

Re: Biggest jeep wave ever!

For $10000 I would build the one you have which could probably be built very well for 3-5000 then put the other $5000 in the bank for future repairs. Or you could send it to me.

Out of the XJs in my club that I can remember the miles on we have 240000, 210000, 160000, 150000 all of these are wheeled hard and on the original 4.0. Even if the moter comes across problems you have plenty of cash for a rebuild.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Junkpile hit it on the nose with the higher output engine. That's the biggest reason I'm thinking about making the jump to a newer XJ before making all kinds of mods. It's been very good to me in the 10 years I've had it. But it does need engine work and the clearcote is starting to some off. I guess either way it's a crap shoot.

Thanks again.

Todd

Back