Rear Axles Popping/Clanking

Deerhunter30

I have this popping/clanking coming from the left rear axle. It does it when I have been going forward and put it in reverse and start backing up. It also does it when I let off the gas and use the engine to declerate. It started a few months ago. About a month ago I pulled the wheel and tightened the axle nut and it stopped. It has gradually come back. The nut cannot be backing of because it has a pin to keep it from backing out. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on?

I had the same problem with my 2 piece axles. Apparently, tightening the nut is only a temporary fix (my pin broke off from the pressure on it). Do yourself a favor and look into a decent 1 piece axle kit, you'll make out better in the long run.

I was thinking that the 1 piece axles was the solution. What happens when this gives way? Are we talking the rear wheel falling off while driving, or are we talking the wheel/hub spinning on the axle.

Spinning, if this is the problem. We just did one piece in
Sully's CJ

anyone know whats up? maybe XJNick?

ahhh dana 20 how sturdy are they? i hear all kinds of storys about them, some say they are strong some say they are POS's but what ever the case i have one and i cant even give it away, D44 is the way to go

deerhunter, i have the amc 20 too. i had a clicking sound a few months ago, mostly when i really accelerated hard. it almost sounded like gears were not meshing and grinding. i never could figure out what was causing the noise, until the axle/hub completely stripped out and i could not accelerate at all. i could not even move. i got out of the jeep, with it in gear and could look under the jeep and see the driveshaft turning while the jeep was sitting still. it turned out that the hub had stripped out. i replaced the hub and axle and have had no more problems.

jeepin916 said:
ahhh dana 20 how sturdy are they? i hear all kinds of storys about them, some say they are strong some say they are POS's but what ever the case i have one and i cant even give it away, D44 is the way to go

I was told by 2 different manufacturers (1 axle ,1 driveline)that the AMC 20 with solid axles and a "con fer truss" or any truss is easily as strong as the 44.
We stayed with the 20, solid axles, ARB, 410s and when we find a truss, we will put it to the test.

i had this same problem with my AMC 20. and i managed to strip the hub going up a hill, this was a new experience drifting backwards down a hill while the gears are going forward. needless to say i limped home in 4 high. do your self a favor before it gets worse go to solid one piece axles. i run 33x12.50s and have not messed up the strong AMC 20 yet. and my CJ is a trail JEEP so it sees everything. and no the axles are held in by bearings and the hub so you dont have to worry about them comming out. and it is an easy install.

Thanks for the help guys. I have a set of Superior one piece axles on the way. I'll have to add that to my list of mods!

Back