really rough ride

jayboe

i just bought a 95 yj from a local dealer. Really nice low mileage yj with a 4 cyl, and a 5 spd. It is the Rio grande edition, Whatever that means. I am trying to figure out why my ride is so rough. I have owned Jeeps in the past, and I know that the ride is not smooth in one. I can literally get on the bumper, jump up and down and it doesnt hardly move. It has 30x 9.50 tires, rancho 5000 shocks, sway bar disconnects, and some kind of lift. I measured 20 inches from the center of the axle to the bottom of the flare. What would make the ride so harsh? I have pic if can figure out how to post them.

Re: RE: TJ flare install

The shackle bolts may be too tight, if so they will keep the springs from springing.

My first Jeep was a 92 YJ, the stock springs were basically frozen stiff from rust and I eventually broke a main spring eye.

Another possibility is it was lifted with an add-a-leaf on each spring that was from a spring pack from a much heavier vehicle. Check the spring packs to see if one of the leaves is much thicker than the others, but I'm betting on my first assumption.

RE: suspension basics?

Number 1 problem is the Rancho 5000's, they're a stiff riding gas-charged shock.

Number 2 problem could be the brand of springs, some aftermarket springs ride very stiff.

I recommend switching to a smooth riding hydraulic shock like Doetsch-Tech 3000's or Rusty's Hydros. If it's still stiff the only answer would be to swap in some lift springs known for a decent ride. Any numbers stenciled on the springs?

RE: Baghdad Mosque Closings Spark Weapons Shortage

232185 is stenciled on the springs.

Back