Question about high lift jacks

Craig

I just picked up a 4 foot high lift jack on sale. I see there's two different kinds...a fully cast model and a model that's both cast and steel. Which ones are better? I'd think the cast and steel ones would be since cast metal doesn't really bend, it breaks a lot easier but I could be wrong.

Re: Lift or lockers...can't decide.

Most jeepers won't break either one, so they're about the same to me.

You forgot the third kind, the $30 hilift knockoff that works just as well as the real thing.

While at the beach this past week, I saw a nice YJ with the high lift jack custom mounted over the rear drivers side wheel. It actually looked really nice. I am guessing that he simply mounted some brackets to the body. It looks nice. He has two tiny locks that can probably be opened with a pair of pliers. I thought that was kinda funny, but everything else looked great! I'll eventually get one.-al

All the Hi Lifts are about the same. I have seen a few of the knock offs have problems with the release mechanism but that was probably due more to neglect than anything else. Pobably tried to froce it without any oil on there. Hi Lifts love oil.

The problems I've seen with the pins releasing is pretty common with generic and real hilifts, a matter of maintenance and storing them out of the elements IMO.

doesn't matter, they are both rated the same.. the cheaper one will do just fine (the stapmed & cast one) ... i recommend keeping it in the jeep - or better yet in a jackguard (plastic case made for them)

Full Size Axles

The csast ones are a little stronger and don't bend. I have had the stamped ones bend on me.

I've owned & used a cast one for many years. They are a very great tool to have along with some WD-40. You'll cuss plenty if you forget some sort of lube as they get sticky pretty easy if stored outside.

Same here, lube, lube, lube. and yes, even the name brand can be tempermental! no exerience with generic, had the same Hi-lift for 25 years (well my father gave it to me) still works, for who ever has it! I let some one borrow it last year, never to see it again, so I had to buy a new one.

Back