Propane Tank question

88Wrangles

RE: Gasket for Headers

Hello :D

So here's the question...which will show I know nothing about propane tanks . I've got one of the standard--hook up to the bar b que-- propane tanks that I would like to use as a tank for CO2 (somewhat temporarily until I can get around to completely sealing off another tank that I will use). Anyways, if it's just sitting there, with no b-b-q or anything hooked up to it, how do you drain the thing? Like I said I know nothing about these tanks and just need to know how to empty it (without buying some special tool or anything like that). The thing is, I turn the knob and nothing happens, but I'm pretty sure there's something in there...whether its propane or just the propelent.

Thanks for any little bit of help!!!

RE: Re: RE: aussie locker

Take it to one of those re-fill places.....I'm sure they could help you out. (Might look at you kinda strange...."You want to EMPTY it?! :shock: )

Should be cheap, maybe even free!

Please don't just unscrew the top!!!!!!!! Bad, very very bad!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, that big steel valve would become a projectile moving at "Kill Anyone Within Range" speed!!!!!

If I am not seriously not seeing what it is that you are saying when you turn it on and nothing comes out then it is empty! tug

there is likely a safety valve in the fitting that requires a hose to be attached in order to open it

Need Gas Tank and Fuel Pump for 89-90 4 Cyl YJ

The incorrect way to do it would be to unscrew the hose from the burner valve on your grill and then screw the hose onto your tank.....then point it away from you and open the valve on the tank. If the tank is current, it will have an OPD inside it that will need to be removed along with the propane fitting. The tank doesn't just have to have the right valve on it for the station to fill it, it also has to have the proper certifications......I doubt a propane tank is rated to hold CO2. I think White is right.

Can you get the proper tank at your local welding supply store? I can order any tank I want and I don't have any special license or anything.

Re: RE: catylitic converter question ($800?!?!?!?)

as far as putting co2 in the tank, i couldnt help you, but as far as emptying the tank.... just have one kick ass bar-b-q. make sure to have plenty of booze though, so your guests dont leave unhappy when you tell them that steaks and burgers are no more cause there is no propane left. just a suggestion.

RE: beach run

Snitty....thanks. That's the answer I was looking for. I was just hoping I wasn't going crazy cause I knew there was still propane in it and everyone keeps telling me to just turn the knob and it will come out.

Is there anyway to empty it without the hose attached? Could I stick something in there to release the valve?

Rear brakes

Uhhh...ok....who's been playing with the posts?????? These are all out of whack as to where they were last time I read it........

RE: adding to a lift kit

CO 2 is usually high pressure like 1500 psi. I think A PROPANE TANK IS ONLY RATED 350 psi.... KaBOOM

RE: tom woods high angle joint

Couldn't you just put in 350 psi (or whatever the max is for the tank) and then you would have just enough to fill a few tires--or does CO2 not work that way?

Hook it up to the grill throw on a few steaks and call us up we will help you finish em off in no time! Heck I will bring the tater salad!!!!! tug

you MAY be able to unscrew the entire top assembly from the tank.... in fact.. if you want to use CO2, you'll need to use a CO2 nozzle/valve in order for a shop to legally fill it with that gas

Snitty, I was thinking of doing that. Then I thought "hey, if there's a lot of pressure in this thing, it could hurt if this big steal knozzle pops off and smacks me in the head." It could certainly be done, and I actually went out to do it, then I got scared!!!

Oh well. Like I said this is completely temporary until I can find a good deal on a big oxygen tank. I've got a friend with the license (or whatever it is) to buy them, and he's also a firefighter...so he's keeping an eye out for spare tanks lying around his station that he might be able to pick up for a good deal!!

RE: Just another test

Sparky, what are you doing posting all over the place like that??? J/K!!

Ya, I looked at it and decided that would be a very bad idea.

Back