Preparing for an end of July trip...

cewtwo

This will be a Jeep trail long weekend. Planning on doing Hancock, Tomichi and Schofield passes in Southern Colorado. I really want to try the Devil's Punchbowl (between Crystal and Schofield Pass) during the week (not on a busy weekend).

But that is neither here nor there. I was wondering how others plan their trips. I have a '93 YJ. Lifted with 33" tires along with several other mods.

Generally, we plan for hotels. This time, the area that we want to go to is fairly booked up. So, it looks like camping for three nights.

Generally, when we travel in the jeep, we pack light. I am a techno type of guy. I take a movie camera, a digital camera, a PC, mapping software, GPS unit, etc.

I have had to change. I now carry a PDA with the mapping software on it. I have additional compact flash media so as not to need the PC. I take a fast charger and a small inverter to charge batteries with. The Bummer? No DVD movies at quiet times (no PC).

We have taken the large camping chairs and exchanged them for much smaller camp chairs (quads). We will take a tent, 2 chairs, 2 air mattresses and 2 sleeping bags. It will be 2 guys and Molly, my Australian Shepard. That should allow me room for the motorized 8" telescope.

Camping means that we will stop before we are too tired. We'll set up the tent and put the sleeping bags in it. Fix a cold supper, catch up the day on the PDA and use the telescope after dark for viewing deep space objects until we are too tired to continue. It will be a cold breakfast with hot coffee and then head out for the day. It becomes easier when we don't need to move camp.

We have a soft-side cooler that plugs in to the Jeep and keeps things within it cool. Space is at a premium. Water, bread, cheese and lunch meat go into the cooler. We have a small plastic container to hold the coffee supplies, the one-burner stove and some additional food stuffs.

The plan is cold food in the morning and at night with a hot meal in some town during the day. Keep the cooler filled and have fun in between.

Just wondering, but how do the rest of you travel with your vehicles?

i have a zj, so no open air, but plenty of room for me :wink: but it sounds like you have everything planned out pretty well, sounds like you've got everything, oh, dont forget a toothbrush and clean boxers.

After my last trip to Paragon, I now travel with absolutely NO electonics in the JEEP, unless thier cell phones and locked in the glovebox or somewhere higher.

Needless to say, I'm a gadget girl too. Earlier this year I had a brand new Sony Clie get ruined on a Paragon run while going through somewhat deep water.

Didn't know it had fallen to the lower vincinity of the jeep. Three hundred freaking dollars of my organized life down the drain. I still don't have a new one.

Anyway, First trip out, Jeep was a wreck because we overpacked. Learned after that to pack lighter, that stuff will shift like crazy while trail riding. It also gets totally dirty if you have even one window open.

Just my two cents.

Lady

Oh! That reminds me! I never travel backcountry without my microfibre dusting cloth (it works)!

Never for very long, but it can always be used again!

I pack all my cooking stuff(plates, mini stove, cups, eggs, bacon, hamburgers, hotdogs, plastic forks, ect in one bag). I pack my tent and sleeping bags in one bag. My big tool box. Big cooler full of any foods that need to be kept cold and drinks. A mini cooler for drinks when you are driving. GPS and cb are mounted so they can be removed easily. If we need to leave the jeep if we get stuck. First aid kit and a flashlight should be in your toolbox and one easy to grab for those quick needy times.

Back