Pocket style fender flares?

MuddinYJ88

My 88YJ is running 33" xterrains and my tires stick out about 4" from the stock flares. I was looking into Bushwacker 6" pocket and Warn 7" trail flares. Also 4 wheel parts is running a deal 249.99 for 6" pocketstyle flares. they claim their decent quality. Theyre by genuine truck accessories. My tires mash against my flares badly when flexing out my 4" lift. I will be adding a 2" pA body lift soon but need advice on the best flares for the money and lookwise. i dont want it to take away from my look. But on the trail im flinging mud and rocks everywhere and im illegal on the freeway. Any suggestions would be great, thank you!!!!!

I run the bushwackers. Get TJ flares and mount them up high and cut about 1-2 inches out of your fenders for clearance.

I really like the look of the Bestop extended flares that give the YJ a rounded rear flare like to CJ's had:
image-missing.png

Well some have answered some of your questions and I will throw in mine as well. Most manufactures of flares are near the same just different looks, from bushwhackers, best-tops, to xenon. I use the latter xenon's and they have held up to the very worst I can dish out even ripping one off on a rock in Moab to be re-installed back at camp that night with no visible scars.

You have mentioned flinging mud in your question with that in mind I wouldn't put on pocket types, many of my fellow club members have said that mud and snow get packed into those little pockets and rust out the attachment hardware. They didn't know if it was a true 316 stainless steel hardware its your choice there.

As to your second question are you illegal with tires sticking out the sides of your fender flares, the answer is yes. Most states require that your fender flares cover your tires and that you wear mud flaps. A lot of the times they let you side as they do here in Utah but it takes one bad cop who didn't get his daily donut to give you an ticket.

I recently went through the same process of finding the best flare for my YJ after getting a vehicle inspection. After a little research and posting on a few different sites I purchased the 6" Xenon flares for my YJ. They make a regular YJ extended flare, a TJ style made to fit a YJ or you can just get the regular TJ flares and cut your wheel wells larger which is what I did. I was told by numerous people on off road websites as well as calling around not to get the Bushwacker's because of the material they're made of. The hard plastic they use is not very flexable and will crack if you stuff your tire too hard. So far the Xenon's have held up to everything I've dished out.

Craig said:
I was told by numerous people on off road websites as well as calling around not to get the Bushwacker's because of the material they're made of. The hard plastic they use is not very flexable and will crack if you stuff your tire too hard.

I've got the 6" Bushwackers on my TJ and they look great. However, had I done a little more research before buying them, I would have gone with something more flexible (ie: Warn). Bushwacker flares look nice, but they are made from very hard plastic and I can see how they would crack and break easily. Luckily mine haven't yet, but I won't be surprised when they do...

-Rob

Back