Ouch...cracked rib

Special_K

I think I fractured a rib during a game last Sunday. Didn't feel it until a few hours afterwards but I know exactly when it happened. :x Just as me an another genius were colliding, he put his head down...thus causing his helmet to ram into my chest. He may have come out on top but it was a baaad move...it could have been his vertebrae instead of my rib.

Anyway, it sometimes hurts to breathe and I've been trying to avoid laughing or sneezing or coughing. It was finally starting to feel kinda okay until I played again last night. Ooops. I was walking around like an old man all night last night trying to get in and out of my Jeep...even shifting gears hurt. hehe...ouch.

I've been down this road once before and all that I can do is wait 2-3 weeks for it to heal. There's nothing a doctor can do...besides charge me $500 to tell me that there's nothing a doctor can do and to wait 2-3 weeks for it to heal. I'll give it another week and try to make a game on Friday...it should be okay by then.

In the mean time... <moan> Just had to complain a little. :?

get well soon! :D

when you say make the game friday, i hope you mean to watch it... :shock:
crazy hockey players :p

Been there, broke 4. Nothing they can do for it. They don't even wrap them anymore. Eat some ibuprofin or naproxin and heal the hard way.

Sorry to hear it. That hurts.

I've been down that road too, except I broke 7. I was skating and fell on a rail on my stomach. Take your pain and multiply it by 7 haha. Doctor said people usually only break more than 4 if they are in a severe car accident.

I was walking around like an old man all night last night

Oh, and just how do we old men walk????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, hard as it may be, resist the temptation to jump right back in....give it time to heal. If you don't believe me, ask my knees (or more particulary, the right one). Softball is such a violent sport!! :lol:

Been there, done that. I broke 3 ribs 2 years ago chopping firewood. A week later, my Dad broke 3 ribs coughing (he had bone cancer and pneumonia). So, we were quite a pair when we'd get together. Unfortunately, we would always get in discussions that would make both of us laugh, which resulted in a great amount of pain.....we'd each double over and grimace, then before we knew it, we'd both be laughing at something again. It took 3 months for me to get over the pain. Dad's never really healed....he passed away 5 months later from the cancer. That's a pain I still haven't gotten over.

Which Jeeper would You elect President?

Thanks Random, Twisted & others. After reading these other posts I don't feel like I have much in terms of complaining rights with my one measley little fractured rib. I've clearly been outmatched. :D

Geeeez, Eat Sleep Jeep. Breaking seven IS quite the accomplishment!! :shock: That had to suck...but you win hands down!

Great story Sparky...sorry to hear about your loss though. That's gotta be tough. Unlike a broken rib, you really get over the pain from a loss...it gets less sharp over time but never completely goes away.

Well, me and my little wimpy one broken rib are off to church. I've been a heathen and skipped it for the past couple of weeks. :oops: :)

I doubt 4 hurt any more than 1. No getting around the fact that it is just a horrible thing to deal with. I think I'd rather go through the kidney stone thing before more broken ribs - and that's sayin' something!

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Sorry to hear about your rib. But hey, look at the bright side, you did it playing hockey. That's worth it.

yeah, i agree with mingez, doing anything, as long as you do it playing hockey cant be that bad. i've played hockey since i was about 5 years old, and (knock on wood) the worst that has ever happened to me was a sprained ankle in high school. had to attend the next 2 games on crutches, believe me, nothing hurts more than being on the bench, and not being able to help your team. oh well....get better soon.

"be kind to animals, kiss a hockey player" and "give blood, play hockey"

who remembers those tshirts and hats? this post just got me thinking, i wonder if i can still find my give blood hat....

Back