Oil cooler

I'm sure it would cool down the oil somewhat, not sure if its enough to make a big differnce...it is sitting in that oven of an engine compartment.

Nice clear tubing, wouldn't trust that setup on anything of mine (and I've installed some crap over the years ;) )

That 'tank' is not an ideal object for dispersing heat, that's why you see no 'tank' transmission coolers or intercoolers.

Why the need for an oil cooler?

Negative Ghost Rider. That looks very cheap and the hose will fold with hot oil in it.
I bought an aftermarket Derale cooler that came with a nice finned cooler, but the hoses were the same as a garden hose but grey. They would have pinched easily. By the time I made up some real hydraulic hoses, the cost had more than doubled.
Spend the extra money on your radiator and fans.

Well, the stroker's gonna be putting out alot of heat, is costing me an arm and a leg to make, and cooling oil is a pretty effective way to prolong engine life, especially at low rpm/speed when the cooling system isn't at its best. I think I might buy something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=8076702399&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
and just run some copper wire or fuel hose to an oil cooler I pick up in the junk yard or on ebay. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
What makes you think the stroker is going to get that hot? Are you going to run the timing way advanced? If you cool the block, you will cool the oil also.
I would try upgrading the fans first. Many guys love the Taurus fans, I run the Focus dual fans which is the new fangle version. Either should keep you cool without problem. I picked up my Focus fan new for $140. You can probably get a salvage one for less than half. They fit the CJ radiator perfectly with no modifications. Check it out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-0...016QQitemZ260016440628QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

that tubing looks like it won't hold up for 5 minutes. I would look into another type if you really want to do it. Try radiator and fans first. I also highjly recommend "redline water wetter" http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp. It helped cool down my 347 by 40 degrees. Do the silicone hoses tooo, they look nice and hold up a lot better than rubber hoses. Try the other stuff first since it is better for your engine and proven reliability.

Once the motor's all put together and in the Jeep, I'd just put in a good oil temperature guage and see how hot it really gets. Then, if you need it, get a good cooler.

It's easy enough to go that route first and simply shut the motor off if it gets real hot, and then get the neccessary equipement.

Hmmm....Redrooster, you say the Focus fan puts out comparable cfm with the Taurus fan and fits the radiator? I found a new Focus fan on ebay for $110, and it's pretty appealing. The reason I was interested in the oil cooler is I was told they are a good way to prolong engine life, better than upgrading the coolant system, but it seems most of the guys here are against them.

Last edited:
Not necessarily against them, but why reinvent the wheel. Engine heat is engine heat, and if it's excessive an oil cooler won't do as much for bringing temps down and prolonging engine life as a properly operating coolant system.

The oil cooler I ran was neat and all, especially with the remote mounted filter, but I saw no real beneft other than it holding an extra quart of oil. It will also provide you with several more opportunities to have a leak.
In my case, I mounted the cooler to the front of the radiator like it was designed. I think the blocked air flow to the radiator actually made the engine run warmer.
The Focus fans should make it run nice and cool. Those things move some air and fit nice and tight with that built in shroud. It will also free up a pony or two by losing the mechanical fan.
A have a simple mounting for the Focus fans that takes 20 minutes to make. PM me if you get one and I'll fill you in.

Back