O.T. - internet filter

TwistedCU

Does anyone know of a good filter I can use that will block inappropriate content? The kids are using the computer more and we want to block potentially inappropriate stuff from popping up if they do a search and click the unknown, etc.

I tried the content advisor in I.E., but it requires a password to be enteren for every webpage, and it is more of a PITA than effective.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - browsers, programs, etc.

Who_Cares said:
That OR

Created separate user accounts for your Kids and set them to have the content filter there.
yeah i second that, not much use for a product with a 10 day trial on it! just make separate user accounts, what version of windows do you run? assuming you run windows...

I have Windows XP pro. The content advisor is not an option. It just doesn't work.

I checked out that BSafe from AFA. I didn't like it at first because it uploads a history of all the sites visited by your computer then emails a lift back to you. Good idea if you are trying to catch someone doing something, but I would rather just block the stuff and have a little trust.

Looking into it further, I see the uploading the site list can be turned off. I can't believe how well it works without disturbing normal internet surfing. We'll probably buy it at the end of the trial if no problems.

Good recommendation! Thanks

Media players

Well I tried the AFA thing and it works well, but their virus protection is sub-par at best. Wanting to use the same program for firewall, antivirus, family filter, etc instead of having 3 programs running simultaniously I got rid of Mcafee and Bsafe (AFA) and installed Norton Security Suite. Good product, and tha family filter is almost identical to Bsafe, except it doesn't upload a record of all my internet activity to their website like bsafe did (a good thing in my opinion). Norton is the goods!

BTW - the Bsafe would have been fine if not for the fact that my older computer runs better with a lower # of programs running from startup.

Back