Not Getting Fuel

88Wrangles

Okay, so it is a 1974 Chevy 3/4 ton, 4x4. It has a 454 with the dual tanks. Fuel filters are all clean.

So anyways, I will be driving along (usually happens on the freeway) and it will start to hesitate like it was running out of gas, then it would be fine. The other day, I was getting off the freeway (60 miles from home) and sitting at a traffic light and it starts hesitaing, and trying to cut out. I get about a block and it dies. I check the lines and no fuel is going into the carburator, and everything is dry. So I change the fuel pump right there (luckily another Chevy was driving by :lol: and helped me go get one). After that, it runs great driving around town for the weekend. I then head back home on the freeway (60 mile drive) and when I get about 5 miles from home, it starts hesitating again and I have to pull over, and it starts running great again.

Got any ideas???

Got any mud in the tanks? It could be sucking it into the intank filter and getting clogged, and after it sits and settles it runs okay until it gets stirred up again.....maybe? Fuel pump doing it's thing? How much pressure you got? Are you running an electric or mechanical pump? Could it be dropping pressure after it gets hot?

Back