Newbie, with question!

willee51

:redface: Hi folks, new member here, looking for some info!

Will be 65-yo and will retire 04/12, not many months away! I LOVE Virginias mountains, and want to enjoy them more, by getting off the "black-top" and explore the hundreds of miles of old, un-maintained fire-roads, etc.

Have found a "82" CJ5, restored and rebuild and all "original", as purchased off the show-room floor!

Talk me out of buying this "GEM"!

Thanks for your time and comments!

you have to go to a hummer site to be talked out of buying it, ha ha ha

I push jeeps there in the blood , but first what kinda price tag you talking . don't over pay some think there jeep is gold and the buyer finds its crap not worth the greenies to find its to late ,if its worth it and fits your needs grab it other wise follow above directions good luck

willee51 said:
:redface: Hi folks, new member here, looking for some info!

Have found a "82" CJ5, restored and rebuild and all "original", as purchased off the show-room floor!

Talk me out of buying this "GEM"!

I'm all for enjoying life in a jeep.... However, "restored" & " rebuilt" sounds like "money" and "more money" to me;-)

I would explore all of the Jeep options that are available for the same $$$ investment... If it comes out on top then by all means go for it...

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

The only negative I can give you is that CJs tend to be a bit of a stiff ride with their leaf springs. TJs (1997 to 2006) have coils springs and a much softer ride. You might want to try driving both first before you buy. I find that I don’t enjoy being thrashed around while driving down a back road these days as much I use to in my twenties. Having said that, I own a 1978 CJ5. (but I own a 1999 TJ too) Just my two cents.

The only negative I can give you is that CJs tend to be a bit of a stiff ride with their leaf springs. TJs (1997 to 2006) have coils springs and a much softer ride. You might want to try driving both first before you buy. I find that I don’t enjoy being thrashed around while driving down a back road these days as much I use to in my twenties. Having said that, I own a 1978 CJ5. (but I own a 1999 TJ too) Just my two cents.

I've only ridden in a late Jeep once, perhaps a plush ride but from a driver's perspective, I prefer the stance of my '78 CJ5. From what I've read over the years leaf packs can be had to soften the ride if one wants. As for me I like the immediate feedback of the stiff suspension to gauge the surface I'm driving on, but perhaps that's just a fallacy.

I've only ridden in a late Jeep once, perhaps a plush ride but from a driver's perspective, I prefer the stance of my '78 CJ5. From what I've read over the years leaf packs can be had to soften the ride if one wants. As for me I like the immediate feedback of the stiff suspension to gauge the surface I'm driving on, but perhaps that's just a fallacy.

And with a CJ5, the cool factor always comes in first!

How handy are you? An 85 jeep has early vintage smog control and such that were not designed all that well, and when they go bad, they can be tough to trouble shoot and expensive to repair. So if you are mechanically handy, an older Jeep is definitely fun and will make you feel 25 years younger.

On the other hand, 26 years of engineering has brought some new features to Jeep that you simply can't build into an older Jeep. Yeah, sure, Jeep had some hiccups in the last 26 years (e.g., square headlights:shock:, and worse), but overall, a modern Jeep, like a Rubicon model, is much more capable than an older Jeep.

So not knowing all your details and needs, here's what I'd tell people in general. Buy the newest Jeep you can afford and hold out for a Rubicon model. The Rubicon's have great, from the factory features like locking differentials that really add significantly to the capability of the Jeep, plus the newer Jeeps that sport the Rubicon badge also have coil spring suspensions Vs the old leaf springs, making for a smoother on and off road ride.

its funny you say square headlights as hiccups because lots of people say the coil springs are hiccups, ha ha ha. they say real jeeps have leaf springs. ;)

I'm all for enjoying life in a jeep.... However, "restored" & " rebuilt" sounds like "money" and "more money" to me;-)

I would explore all of the Jeep options that are available for the same $$$ investment... If it comes out on top then by all means go for it...

"82" CJ5, 96K original miles! Engine rebuild at 92K, COMPLETE body restoration at 92K..

Show-room condition and completely "stock" (engine & transmission, everything)as driven out of the show-room!

New, never used soft-top by Best Top,

Asking $10K, Based on the asking price for most similiar CJ's, price does not seem too bad???????

willee51 said:
"82" CJ5, 96K original miles! Engine rebuild at 92K, COMPLETE body restoration at 92K..

Show-room condition and completely "stock" (engine & transmission, everything)as driven out of the show-room!

New, never used soft-top by Best Top,

Asking $10K, Based on the asking price for most similiar CJ's, price does not seem too bad???????

Excellent... Go for it!!!

I am a cj5 owner and have owned a yj, and a tj, and a commander which I still have as well, and I love my cj5 a little stiffer ride, but fun to drive and historical. However if I were looking for one for backroading and possible small trails which comes with dents, dings, scratches, and all the other joys of trail riding I would hate to buy one thats restored, because would make you more cautious and might not explore somme roads or trails you want to because of damage, but as far as the direction of a cj5 yeah go for it I have no regrets....

i like the shorter wheels base deal. my yj can turn around in unbelievable places so imagine where a cj5 can turn around

i like the shorter wheels base deal. my yj can turn around in unbelievable places so imagine where a cj5 can turn around

I have to say the most favorite jeep of all I have ever owned was a 1947 CJ2A as I could turn that thing around on a dime; came in handy on old logging roads when they ended up with a washout.

yup, that is why i think a cj5 would be badass. i always turn around on dead ends in spaces my old trooper would not have ever even made a quarter of

buy it. it will own your sole. wishing I had my 89 YJ back. driving a cherokee for now. will own another wragler soon.

Considerate a retirement gift to yourself.

Back