need some help

burton

i went out to my garage yesterday to start up my jeep for the hell of it. Im not driving it yet till i get it painted but i wanted to just let it run a bit but when i turned it over my cdplayer went on but the starter was making a weird grinding sound and it wouldnt start up at all, i got nothing. Any idea of why this is happening? It hasnt really been driven much b/c iv been restoring it off and on since last year, and it ran fine all the other times i would run it. Any real help would be great thanks.[addsig]

Turn on the headlights, if they dim alot, when you start, it´s usually a battery issue.[addsig]

Well I have been having problems with my starter for a while (I think this @#%@!#$ cold may have finally caused it all to crap out) the problems started as you describe noisy grinding noise when starting,I pulled the starter and tested it it was good(but can you trust computers?) had the battery tested it was bad- Replaced $80.00 sears. All was well for about a year then that @$#^$@$$# noise again Had battery tested- good starter Bad, $190.00. yeah no noise well 2months later noise, battery and starter tested fine- dealer can't make the noise - can you really trust them?????? Its your wires I'll have to order the cable assembly 100.00 "what the #@$@#- I'll do it myself $60.00 trouble shooting $10.00 napa new wires. great no noise, three weeks later well you guessed it the grinding came back, but different this time sometimes there was nothing but a click. Well the napa tested the new starter again and replaced it. Now its New Years and I want beer go out to the jeep and nothing but a click. I turned the key a few times and didn't believe my ears nothing but a click. tried to jump it and it started just fine. Its the battery?????? Well last Saturday sears replaced the battery, bad cell. wednsday napa replaced the starter again, bad soleniod. DO I dare go out and try o start it??. To make a long story short Dont replace any thing till you have it all tested and replace all bad parts at the same time, sears said the starter shorted the battery, Napa said the battery killed the starter, they both were replaced free of charge with a lot of headaches. Hopefully its finally fixed. (97 tj 2.5l 90k)
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back