need schooled

v7nf

I bought a 87 yj last summer,it has been lifted and has 35"tires,its my first jeep and I have not added to it yet,other than rewelding the rear shock mounts on it.Im learning alot about it,I will change rearend and im willing to lift it but right now id rather add higher springs if I could.it all centers around what lift I have now,which I dont know!?it has 4.2 and 231 transfer case manuel trans 5 speed,I am purchasing a jeep cherokee for 250.runs and drives has 4.0 HO motor and rebuilt transfercase,but auto trans,this is what Im workin with,I am willing to tear cherokee apart,what I need is feed back Ideas I guess..I feel I gotta a good start..

Attachments

• S7300072.JPG
    S7300072.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 223
  • S7300068.JPG
    S7300068.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 213

Those 4" springs still have a lot of good arch to them, and you're not going to find much higher. Springs with more arch will generally ride more stiff.

If it's more tire clearance you're after, consider installing TJ fender flares and a 1" body lift. Or do a little more work and install 1.5" springs on top of the axles.

So they are 4"springs.so its not a good idea to use 4" springs on a SOA?why 1.5"?my rear springs do not look right to me,they only have 4 leafs and a steel spacer,here is a pic of what I am talking about.my measurments are fine,but just seems to me it could be better.do you think replacing my rear springs good idea?

Attachments

• IMG00262-20110228-1426.jpg
    IMG00262-20110228-1426.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 197
So they are 4"springs.so its not a good idea to use 4" springs on a SOA?why 1.5"?my rear springs do not look right to me,they only have 4 leafs and a steel spacer,here is a pic of what I am talking about.my measurments are fine,but just seems to me it could be better.do you think replacing my rear springs good idea?

that looks like it was sprung higher, then they used short shocks that bottomed hard on the return, so they came to the epiphany to space the axle up to compensate before it broke the mounts off that you just fixed?

Nice jeep but you should get the bumper the same color as the rest of the vehicle

Nice jeep but you should get the bumper the same color as the rest of the vehicle
That chrome bumper and grill is classic, I love that look on the early YJ. That's when they put real chrome grills on them and not some cheap overlay. I had an '88 Laredo the same color.

For a minimal amount of work, I'd change the rear springs. A spring pack with many thin leaves will flex and ride a lot better than a pack of the same height with fewer thick leaves.

The reason I mention 1.5" springs with a SOA setup is they easily clear 35" tires and RE makes some sweet springs in that height ideal for SOA. They flex well and are built to minimize axlewrap.

I am gonna take your advice,on look out for new rear springs right now,4"and I am gonna search the junkyards tommorow for a cherokee that has a dana 44!I am thinking of new gears and axles.the junkyard I usually go to has 8 cherokees.what I am reserchin now is what gearing the front should be its a 30,also shackles maybe replace the ones I got now with better.the chromes not going anywhere!

Those 4" springs still have a lot of good arch to them, and you're not going to find much higher. Springs with more arch will generally ride more stiff.

If it's more tire clearance you're after, consider installing TJ fender flares and a 1" body lift. Or do a little more work and install 1.5" springs on top of the axles.
how could you tell if those are 4" springs from pic?the tires are 35"

so that is what that color looks like. my wrangler was originally that color but someone painted over it with black. that color is what color the inside is. i wish they hadn't painted over it though, its a good looking color

Back