need help with v-8 conversion

gtmjeeper

I'm looking to switch my 2.5 liter 4banger out for a small block chevy in my 91 wrangler. I am having a tough time finding information on necessary changes (motor mounts, radiators, etc...). I am sure that it has been done many times before and would like to talk with others who have crossed this bridge and solved problems that I am likely to encounter. If anyone knows of any websites, articles, links, or personal experiences that could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Greg Meade

Well, you need to think about trannies, tcases, and axles, too. That V-8'll rip that 4Banger stuff to shreds.

I swapped a 350 into my old '88 YJ, in place of the 258. I used an AA bellhousing with the stock BA10/5 transmission and stock drivetrain, wouldn't go that route again. While I didn't break anything, it'd be cheaper and stronger to get the GM transmission and transfer case along with the engine, and consider an axle upgrade.

I used AA motor mounts, and had to modify a power steering bracket to use the stock power steering pump. Found a bracket on a full-size GM van and had to cut off one of the 3 mounting tabs (it interfered with the resevoir neck). Worked great.

I had my stock radiator rebuilt to 3-core, and the lower neck moved to the opposite side to match the 350 waterpump. Then used a straight thermostat housing on the front of the motor.

There are different ways to go at it. Your best bet is contact Advance Adapters or Novak and get one of their guides for the specific swap if you're really serious about it and don't have an example to study first hand. I tend to favor a complete engine/trans/tcase swap instead of going the adapter route, but I guess it depends.

alli can tell you is do it right the first time or you will pay dearly in time heart ache being broke on the trail and broke in your wallet.i had a chevy s10 blazer swapped the 4.3 for a 350 and eventualy ripped out everything.

I do appreciate the advice so far that you guys have given. Keep it coming I'm listening. Thanks! and Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!

digging up am old one here....

im goin 5.0

seems pretty user friendly (as swaps go)

http://www.zandm.com/brpg1.htm

should help.

if im sitting stock distance from firewall, and using stock transmission, aside from the damage that could be done sticking my right foot into it all the time, i shouldnt have too much to worry about (oh and of course the smog nazi battle to come). using the stock distance theory, my drive lines should still match up, right?

im by no means a hardcore crawler or wheeler. but id like to go from barely being able to get outa my own way to putting a honda or two in thier place and play a lil rougher in the mud.

Keep your transmission and transfer case in the same location and locate the engine based on them. No changes needed to driveshafts.

Well I did a 350 chevy swap with the advance addapters kit now two days ago i tore my transmission (a-5 )up . now my advice to you is do the swap with at least the th350 4x4 transmission weather it is a v-8 or a v-6 they do make a addaptor kit to mount the same transfer case to your transmission i am trying to find any info on other way to mount a gm transfer case any help would be thanked

get advise from advance adaptors i have an 81 cj-7 with a 383 stroker 500+hp th400 trans and my origanal dana 300 tcase stock axles with lock right lockers front and rear its been together sence 1999 and going strong i run 35's on it and i trail with it all the time it has never left ,me stranded this set up works great for me i dont do any rock crawling but i do alot of mudding and hill climbing if i did any thing different i would go with a dana 60's front and rear

Back