need help fast

burton

i have an 83 cj7 and im installing a cdplayer in it. Only problem is is that there is no harness for the radio like every other car so i have to install it another way. Im looking for help on how to install it from someone who has had to do the same. I have to connect a red wire to the radio fuse, i know that much, and i got to ground it. Then I need to connect a yellow wire to a terminal that is always powered i think like the clock. The main thing Im confused about is the wiring for the lighting for the cd player, I dont no where to connect that. Any help would be great. Thanks[addsig]

Dash lighting is usually orange. But check it with a meter, some wiring is always model specific.[addsig]

the indgo light (the lighting for the cd player) is orange, or at least it has been for every car ive done it on, and it was for my yj.[addsig]

If your wanting the ability to dim the display like your other gauges, the easiest way would be to simply splice this into one of the gauge lights. This can be accomplished easily with a standard butt connector.

If dimming isn't a concern then simply run the wire to a fuse that is hot with both the ignition or accessory setting.[addsig]

I have a 79 cj5 and I had the same problem. This is what I did. I went to the local auto parts store and got a wire harness thing for a trailer. when I say harness I dont mean like feet and feet of wire. It has 6 colored wires about 5 inches long then a plug and the part that plugs in has 6 multicolored wires. write down what you are going to make the colors

example:

red=power

black=ground

yellow=power all the time or memory

etc

then I take half of the plug and find all the places under neath to wire it.

I take the other half and the stereo in and sit down at the kitchen table and splice all the wires to the stereo. when I am done I plug it into the other peice thats in the jeep. I did this because I get a new stereo every couple years. when I get my new one I undo the plug and cut the wires connected to the stereo. leave them as long as you can. that way your wires under the dash never get cut again. new vehicles have kits that you buy that can just plug into the factory plug. but us people that have changed stereos a hundred times dont have this luxury. If your wires start to get short on the stereo side after a few stereo changes just go by another plug and use the one half sorry to ramble on just sharing a idea my friends and I went to . You may want to get a seperate harness for speakers goodluck[addsig]

Back