need an engine !! please help !!

mxkid

I just bought a 98 tj with a 2.5 and i think the engine is blown. Where can i find a cheap engine for this jeep ? I bought it knowing it had atleast a blown head gasket. I pulled the #4 plug out and put a scope in the plug hole. It appears that the piston has a hole in it. I think that I am seeing the crank and not the piston. Any help would be great !

tear the engine down and see what the actual issue is. Regardless of if you use this motor or buy a new one, it will need at best a re-ring and top end rebuild. I never trust a motor from a junk yard with out a rebuild/refreshening.

so might as well put the labor into seeing what up with your motor. Basic stock replacement parts and machining (assuming you use your labor, plenty of literature on motor assemballing) most likely will come in less than if you bought a new to you, running motor.

you can rebuild a 2.5 for like $500. if you know how to work on a motor, but to have done prof prob run around $1200.to $1500. depending on shop or you could buy a new recond one at your local auto parts store for around $2200.

well I tore the engine down.. The # 4 piston is completely MIA, only 3 small pieces of aluminum left. The intake valve is bent sideways in the seat and the cylinder has a pretty good gash in it. I cant afford the 1200-1500 it will take to buy a reman one. So with that i guess i will have to wait till i find one i can build myself???

hay guys will the 94 wrangler 2.5 i have listed work in his tj we are just wanting to make sure I wouldn't want to sell him something that won't work thanks.

I wouldnt have posted the link to your ad if it woudnt yes its the same eng perfect donor must I say more lol

hi everyone,, i was thinking of doing an engine swap as well. does anyone know where i can find a good and not too expensive v8, for my 97 tj???

hi everyone,, i was thinking of doing an engine swap as well. does anyone know where i can find a good and not too expensive v8, for my 97 tj???

Your best bet is gonna be a small block Chevy. You'll want to to board searches on several jeep forums before tackling this swap.

The more info you gather, the easier it will be when you get started.

Holy thread hijack batman! If you have a question start your own thread, don't but in on someone elses. Bad forum etiquette.

Hey if i posted my question here was for a reason. This guy was also asking for an engine for his jeep, so since we have a similar question i think that what ever they anwser to me or him will help us both. So its not like im trying to take over his post its just that i want for both of us to get help on a similar question!!!

I agree, don't think you hi-jacked the initial question.. sometimes what doesn't work for one person works for another.. etiquette would be letting the original person have first crack at it, that's all.. otherwise, you get better coverage throwing a little extra in now and then.. maybe that upsets some people, maybe I'm wrong.. but.. my 2 cents, it doesn't bother me and broadens the prospective..

your right, I read the year wrong.. saw sept and figured it wasn't that old.. oh well, sorry..

Back