My jeep vs. his soccer mom buggy

Jylanthas

RE: New Here 1st jeep need paint ideas

I have a 1999 jeep cherokee sport and my friend has a 1995 jeep grand cherokee laredo. I paid close to 8000 for it and he paid about 3000. We always have little squabbles between which vehicle, even with only stock parts, is better at any degree of off-roading (although I realize that neither are very good compared to a wrangler or anything with some modifications). If anyone could enlighten me and let me know the advantages/disadvantages between these two vehicles, I would greatly appreciate it so I can shut him up.

RE: Asking for modification advice

Well as much as I hate to admit it, the Grand has a little more ground clearance, more tire clearance, and more articulation in stock form which gives them a slight edge. In stock form mind you! Arguements for the Cherokee (XJ) are they are smaller, lighter, and have a shorter wheelbase.

It depends what motor/transmission/axle setups you guys have, that makes a difference as well.

Which do I prefer? Well taking many factors into consideration I bought an XJ (not the grand). I like the simplicity of rear leaf springs and there are many more choices out there for mods.

TwistedCopper said:
..........Arguements for the Cherokee (XJ) are they are smaller, lighter, and have a shorter wheelbase........

And not to mention they look much, much better!!! Why couldn't they have replaced the "Grand" with the liberty instead of the XJ :( ................LONG LIVE THE XJ!!!!!!!

RE: Feed Lindsay Lohan

I've never had a ZJ so this a little out of place, but I can tell you that even though my WJ should outdo an XJ on paper, it's probably a little different in reality. Offroading the WJ is somewhat of a chore. Long and low with gobs of soft wheeltravel. The undercarriage takes a major beating and I've dragged the rockers more than I would like. The soft suspension soaks up the bumps, but offers no control at higher offroad speeds.

My vote goes to the XJ on this one.

RE: Brake drum Froze (rusted on)

image-missing.png

RE: Are you normal? Take the test.

bchcky, very good use of the language!! "A picture is worth a thousand words" 8)

Hmm... Interesting quandary. Firstly, I would not go as far to say that either the XJ (Cherokee) or ZJ (Pre-'97 Grand Cherokee) are not as good as the Wrangler... Each one has it's advantages, really... I have followed modded Wranglers in my stocker XJ, heck, I've even pulled them out when they got stuck where I just went through... Now, as for the advantages of either... I've seen some mighty fine Grands do some amazing things, but I've seen the same with the Cherokee... When I look at the WJ (post '97 Grand Cherokee), I must admit, I don't envision an off-roading beast, but I have seen them do some great things too...

Twisted Copper pointed out some facts that I was unaware of regarding specs on the ZJ... I like the look of them offroad; bchcky has a really nice one too... Never driven one, but in my opinion, observing them in action, and wrenching on both of them, I would have to say that they are equally capable, where one has a failing, it makes up for it in another way... Just my thoughts on the matter, I like all things Jeep, be it wrangler, cherokee variant, or a beastly sheet-metal tank waggy :)

And incidentally, welcome to Jeepz, hope you stick around...

YJ steering shaft

I Like them both, I think the rear coils offer better articualtion than the leafs.

If you venture into the quadra-drive models, they are pretty impressive.

I have been considering selling my YJ and looking into a 99-02 WJ with the quadra-drive traction system. auto-electric lockers front and rear with viscus coupler in the t-case. got to go for a ride in a 01 with a BB and 32's and I was more than impressed.

RE: Like it ever stops.

jps4jeep said:
I have been considering selling my YJ and looking into a 99-02 WJ with the quadra-drive traction system.
seriously? :shock:

being a ZJ driver and having driven an XJ offroad too I'll take the ZJ. it has a much softer riide which means you dont feel the bumps as much, and the coils are soo darned flexy. THey are equally as capable of climbing over an obstacle. There are times where longer wheel base is better.

Back