MTRs in mud

Jeepster05

How do MTRs perform in mud??? I'm thinkin about gettin me some 37 in MTRs after i do my spring over. I've heard they're awesome on rocks but I'm not in rock country. I usually go through thick red carolina clay and mud. I don't wanna invest this much money into something thats gonna leave me in a rut. anyone had any experience with em???[addsig]

:-? :-? :-?

edited by: jhiggins, Jun 20, 2003 - 02:07 PM[addsig]

I've never owned them, but I'm always watching to see what works and what doesn't for others on the same trail as I. The MT/R's flat out don't work in mud. They pack up easily and are tough to spin clean. I wouldn't buy them unless I lived in the arid West or Southwest where you're running dry trails 95% of the time. My 31" swamper radials have walked through many a section where larger MT/R's just caked up and spun.[addsig]

is that the jeepz get together this week??? I'll be in that area next weekend so if it's that time I'll come on down if my jeeps workin. [addsig]

I´ve had a few sets of MT/R´s, not too noisy on the road, don´t seem to heat crack much. They wear good, work OK in the snow and to a lesser degree on packed snow or ice. Seemed to do well in loose mud, dirt, rocks and to a lesser degree sand. Didn´t self clean very well in clay (grey or red). The clay would just keep right on building layers and spinning the tires didn´t seem to help much. Some guys right next to me, with AT´s would have an easier time of it than I did.
MT´s have a new tread pattern now, don´t really know how it works. I´ve switched to an old town and country tread, from yesteryear. Noisy, run hot, but tried and proven for generations. Made by Fulda, kind of a Yokahoma knock off. Wanted to get another set of TSL´s, but they don´t really work well on the road, but sure as heck, have worked for me in most kinds of mud.[addsig]

The new tread on the MTR's still have cleats on one side of the Jeep facing foward and will not clean even if spun. This tire is truly a rock hounds delight.. but a mudders nightmare. (this truly hurts because I run them).[addsig]

Back