Make your own traction bar?

Joopin

Super Moderator
set of 4 31x10.50r15 Wilderness AT III tires

I'm looking for a good site that shows how to make a traction bar... i will need one after my soa. I found one a couple months ago but never bookmarked it. Does anyone know of a good link? I've been doing searches but nothing too good. The one I found first was a triangular bar...

I like this design, but hang the crossmember end from a shackle. Same design that Skyjacker sells.
image-missing.png

Yeah but the skyjacker one is mounted on the axle tube which hinders articulation... this "Bambar" mounts over the diff.

Mounted to the axle tube nearest the diff, and the front is hung from a shackle, so I don't see how it hampers articulation. The diff does not move up and down much when the axle is articulating, it generally stays in the middle unless you're hitting bumps at speed. Also provides a good skidplate for the rear driveshaft, and I've been on many a ledge where I could have used one, with the rear driveshaft spinning on the rock.

That 'bambar' just looks too much like something that belongs in an art museum, looks like they tried to reinvent the wheel. Sometimes the simpler designs are better just for the reason of being simpler.

I believe what he is seeing is the fact that the axle mount is free moving, and will allow the axle to pivot with the bar staying pretty much vertical.... but i agree with bounty as well... look at the TJ articulation, I don't think that a standard bar will cause a problem

I've given that design some more thought. Imagine the jeep being high centered under the TC crossmember, and the rear axle is hanging at full droop. Wouldn't the shackle at the top of the bambar pull the top of the axle forward, pointing the pinion down? Seems to me it could point the pinion down enough to bind the ujoint into uselessness.

It is an ingenious design, and they did good work building it and explaining it on the web. I think it's a lot more work than the common design, for what benefit it has over its predecessor.

yeah... i was looking at the arc of the shackle too... it seems as though it would move the axle forward.... but.... if the shackle was long enough, it would have an unnoticable radius on it... just like the basic bar design.... if the two were meshed together... the bambar's axle mounting, with the swivel, and the long radius of a traditional bar would be a perfect combo

The shackle would have to be as long as the distance between the axle centerline and the spring hanger, then the pinion angle would remain the same throughout the axles movement range.

Back