Major Axle Swap

JEEPCJXJ

Looking into swapping my stock CJ-7 axles out for a DANA 44 front and a DANA 60 rear..............i will resize the axles to stock wide track size. however i was wondering what all is involved in this swap and is it worth it i use my CJ as a 4wheelin machine so yes it sees all kinds of bad conditions and im tired of tearing up the stock axles.....any help on the topic would be appreciated...............thanks

Do you need an axle as strong, large, and heavy as the D60? You'll be losing a lot of ground clearance. Are you running large HP?

I recommend swapping in D44's front and rear out of a Scout. You won't have to mess with narrowing them and they have the same CJ lug pattern.

if i was to go D44's front and rear what donar do you suggest................the front needs a passenger side drop and the rear needs an offset

if you are to shorten the axles... the difference in width may compensate for the offset... if you cut off only one side of the axle, rather than from each side, you may be able to get enough offset to match your output

Mold/Mildue

Is your CJ Quadratrac that has the offset rear diff? If so, look at a late '70s model Wagoneer or Grand Wagoneer (SJ's) that have Quadratrac 4wd, they have pass side front D44 and offset diff rear D44, both will be wider that what you have now. You'll need 6-lug wheels, but definately a great upgrade.

Those Wagoneers are a dime a dozen in junkyards and backyards.

BFG M/Ts or Wrangler MT/Rs

BTW. I know this will upset some people but Scout 44's are junk. I went through two rear housings and numerous shafts. The front is ok, but the thickness of the rear tube is tiny. I bent one jumping terraces and the other one welding on traction bar tabs. One of my buddies said he bent his Scout rear putting a chain binder across it to hold it on the trailer. When he pulled the handle down to lock the binder, it collapsed the tube.

wow are scout 44's that weak? i hope grand wagoneer 44's arent that weak they look pretty strong to me,

Back