lockers

I always liked my Jeeps set up with Lock Rights front and Detroit Lockers rear, but that's old school these days they run selective lockers (air or electric) and I do have those on my truck (non-Jeep) and like em because they save tires. On my Jeep, because it will probably never be driven on the street, I would LIKE the Detroits but i can't find any for the 10 spline D44's.

I run ARB front and rear, and I love selectable lockers. They give you open diffs on the road, which means they are invisible, but at the flick of a switch, you have lockers. I have also heard good things about the OX lockers, for much the same reasons (although you dont need to run an air compressur to run them), but you need to be sure the cable is installed correctly; otherwise, they will not engage properly.

If your Jeep is a DD, I would stay away from selectable lockers, but many people run them and learn to drive on the road with them (it's a personal preference thing). But, in general, selectable lockers do have some odd road manners.

As far as the ECTED and lunchbox lockers, I would not recommend them; first of all, most are not lockers, but rather limited slip, which means that they are a kind of middle of the road type of thing, and you will not get the best of either the open diffs or lockers. Second, those that work on clutches tend to wear out, which means they start becoming less effective with time. But again, it's up to what you like and dislike.

I am sure you are going to get MANY opinions on this thread, and my advise is consider what you want to achieve and then weight the opinions here based on that.

Felipe

I don’t know what you plan to put the locker in but if you have a CJ5 the Lockrites will make you jeep behave very badly on the road. In fact it says in the booklet to not put them in a short wheel base rig.

I have a 74 cj5 with a AMC 304. I was thinking lockrite in the front. and an electric locker of some sort in the rear.

Attachments

• Sept 15 033.jpg
    Sept 15 033.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 199
New here and to Jeeps but I've been on the Ranger and Explorer boards for many years where the general opinion is that the Powertrax No-Slip is very good for a street-driven locker, either front or rear. I've never run a front locker because I only off-road a little bit and my main use for 4wd is on snow-covered roads.

There is a very good in JP magazine. Kind of gives you the good and bad of different types of lockers. I was leanining towards the air lockers but now I think I like to OX lockers. Air lockers have the issues of relying in the compressor, air lines yanked loose from sticks and stuff on the trail, and just plain ole air leaks. I think one you get the OX lock adjusted right, it should be pretty worry free. Here is a link to the article.
Jeep Locker Overview - Jp Magazine

There is an electric locker on the market that is a limited slip when unlocked, it's gear driven instead of using clutch discs that can wear out. It will add traction when unlocked and be invisible on the road, prolly what I would get if I went with a selectable.

I would avoid an automatic locker in the rear, the quirky road manners of the Detroit locker and lunchbox lockers are even worse in a short wheelbase rig. I'd spool it before installing an automatic locker. But of course I run front/rear spools now, so who am I to give advice.

There is a very good in JP magazine. Kind of gives you the good and bad of different types of lockers. I was leanining towards the air lockers but now I think I like to OX lockers. Air lockers have the issues of relying in the compressor, air lines yanked loose from sticks and stuff on the trail, and just plain ole air leaks. I think one you get the OX lock adjusted right, it should be pretty worry free. Here is a link to the article.
Jeep Locker Overview - Jp Magazine

Personally, I prefer air lockers, but its a matter of preference. As for the air lines getting caught up, in my ARB's they go straight up from the pinion, so if something snags it, you have other problems as well (like getting the axle vents or e-brake cables snagged also). As for air leaks, I carry some quick connectors that if you develop a hole in a line, you simply cut it with a knive, put the coupler in and keep on rolling... Takes about 1 minute!

I run ARB front and rear, and I love selectable lockers. They give you open diffs on the road, which means they are invisible, but at the flick of a switch, you have lockers. I have also heard good things about the OX lockers, for much the same reasons (although you dont need to run an air compressur to run them), but you need to be sure the cable is installed correctly; otherwise, they will not engage properly.

If your Jeep is a DD, I would stay away from selectable lockers, but many people run them and learn to drive on the road with them (it's a personal preference thing). But, in general, selectable lockers do have some odd road manners.

As far as the ECTED and lunchbox lockers, I would not recommend them; first of all, most are not lockers, but rather limited slip, which means that they are a kind of middle of the road type of thing, and you will not get the best of either the open diffs or lockers. Second, those that work on clutches tend to wear out, which means they start becoming less effective with time. But again, it's up to what you like and dislike.

I am sure you are going to get MANY opinions on this thread, and my advise is consider what you want to achieve and then weight the opinions here based on that.

HUH?

Get a selectable if it's a DD and there's a possibility of snow on the highway. There are selectables that are either open/locked or open/limited slip. Selectables are generally more expensive, but they do have advantages. Selectables will require more skilled labor to be installed but will be stronger than a lunchbox locker.
I had Lockrights front and rear in my XJ and drove it all the time on the street and highway, you just have to know how to deal with the handling quirkes. A Lockright IS A LOCKER. A Detroit Locker is also a locker, naturally. A Detroit and a Lockright work fundamentally the same, only a Detroit comes with it's own case that is designed for the added stresses of being "locked". A Lockright can be installed by the lay person because the gears will not have to be "set-up". Since a Detroit comes with it's own case, the gears will need to be set-up, an additional cost and should be done by someone that has the know how.
If you are forced to decide between the front or rear being locked, the rear is always a heavier duty axle, and also does more work that the front. Where then does it wake sense to have a "traction aid".
Take your time and do your research.

Last edited:

There are selectables that are either open/locked or open/limited slip.
Don't you mean open/locked or limited slip/locked?

And I agree, selectable lockers are the best choice for onroad use in a daily driver, and they're pricey to prove it.

I'll keep my KISS spools.

Detroits ain't cheap, but may be my next front locker. How do you like yours in the front?

I assume you mean me..

You have the same front axle as I do, when I had selectable hubs, never knew it was there on teh street, I put poly drive flanges in and on the street, it is no more noticable than a lunch box in the front of a tj, as long as there is no torque applied, it won't lock up. for $900 for the pair for something that is just as stong as a Spool, but some give, worth it to me.

I ment price point because the ARB for example cost about $100 more than a detriot, more moving parts to fail, not re-buildable and you still have to get a air source.

I had the powertrax in my 2wd chevy truck. My buddy and I put one in each of our trucks on the same day. Never again. I mean yeah, it worked fine until it rained. It wouldnt unlock when I made a turn from a stop and scrubbed my tires. On dry pavement it sounded like my rearend was going to explode when I made a sharp turn. It was embarrassingly loud when I would back into a parking spot. Oh, and that snap sound would send a shock wave through the truck. People would actually turn and look at me. If any of you have had the Powertrax system you're probably laughing right now because you know exactly what I'm talking about.
I did continue to run it and removed it before I sold the truck.

On my Jeep I'm looking seriously at the ARB.
I would like to know more from those of you using air or electric lockers.

HUH?

Get a selectable if it's a DD and there's a possibility of snow on the highway. There are selectables that are either open/locked or open/limited slip. Selectables are generally more expensive, but they do have advantages. Selectables will require more skilled labor to be installed but will be stronger than a lunchbox locker.
I had Lockrights front and rear in my XJ and drove it all the time on the street and highway, you just have to know how to deal with the handling quirkes. A Lockright IS A LOCKER. A Detroit Locker is also a locker, naturally. A Detroit and a Lockright work fundamentally the same, only a Detroit comes with it's own case that is designed for the added stresses of being "locked". A Lockright can be installed by the lay person because the gears will not have to be "set-up". Since a Detroit comes with it's own case, the gears will need to be set-up, an additional cost and should be done by someone that has the know how.
If you are forced to decide between the front or rear being locked, the rear is always a heavier duty axle, and also does more work that the front. Where then does it wake sense to have a "traction aid".
Take your time and do your research.

Sorry, I just saw my post, and it does not make sense... What I MEANT to say was:

If your Jeep is a DD, I would stay away from AUTOMATIC lockers, but many people run them and learn to drive on the road with them (it's a personal preference thing). But, in general, AUTOMATIC lockers do have some odd road manners.

I welded the rear in my Jeep. People over dramatize the driving manors of spools and welded diffs. It's light stuff... in dry conditions, at least. I haven't driven in rain or snow yet.

jfrabat

How much will I spend for ARB fron lockers? Dana 30
Please keep me from surfing web to find it myself. heh heh heh

Back