lift laws and regs????

AKASHAJEEP

so I live in utah and am in the process of putting a 4.5" lift kit on my jeep. I am using a tire that keeps the stock wheel track (57") and just a hair taller than the oem are. (30X9.5"15 bfg all terains)(the stock tires I had on it were 235/75R15) not a big difference at all. but I am being told that because my body is now sitting so high over the tires that the jeep isnt going to pass inspection at all.

I am under the impression that I can have a 4" mechanical lift with tires that add 4 more inches of lift. for a total of 8" of lift. mine should be fine i think. I have checked the frame to ground clearance (it says in the book that for vehicle under 4500 lbs can not have any more clerance than 24") I am right at 23.5" from the frame to the ground. granted I will probably have to put on some mud flaps because the body sits so high over the tires. but that isnt a big deal at all. I am more concerned about a highway patrol officer pulling me over and saying that the lift is to big and impound the vehicle.

anyone have anything to say concerning wether I am right or wrong?

a pic of what it looks like in the back.
image-missing.png

Carburetor adapter plates for sale

1 inch bigger tires lift 1/2" (half of the 1" increase is at the top side)

From 235's (29") to a set of 33's only raise the vehicle 2", but it also adds 2" of tire to the wheel wells. This is why XJ's, which have narrow wheel wells to begin with, need 3.5-4.5" of lift just to clear 31's without any rubbing offroad.

I wouldn't think that too much tire clearance would cause you to get a ticket. If the tires are inside or under the flares and your bumpers are still legal height you should be ok - at least you would be here in Maryland.

You have the RC 4.5" lift, right? I've heard they net over 5", but will settle a little over time.

i thank the lord we have zero inspections or tests to pass in iowa. the only limitations are traffic laws and window tint

If you have to have it inspected, just throw a lot of wieght into your vehicle (like sandbags) and let some air out of your tires!! J/K

my cherokee wont start. WTF?

yeah I have the rough country 4.5" lift on her. and I think it is a little higher than that!! but maybe its just shock. I do have to have it inspected this year and am not to worried about the state inspection as much as the dot inspection. parents want to make sure it is legal. for weight i have a 125-150 lbs subwoofer box that goes over the rear axle but i sat on the back and it barley moved!! LOL they are really stiff.

Back